Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    Johnson&Johnson about ready for approval. No special refrig and single dose. Unknown how many doses are in stockpile and what their manf rate is.
    Even if #46 can get the numbers of doses and implement his plan that gives us 100 million by the first of May. Way less than the 70% needed for herd. International attendees - totally unknown.
    The rollout chaos and conflicting information from the last year will take some time to actually have good data on where we are now. We are now seeing clusters internationally for areas once under better control. New variant will be a study in adaptation and a dominant strain very quickly. Data on efficacy of vaccine against this variant is still out
    As to the thread - Yes, we will VERY unlikely see a AV21.
    Everyone remain healthy and do your part to help others to remain so.
    I hope your are right. I have only missed one AirVenture since my first one in 1985 and that was AV2020. I flew in and camped for 25 years. I have made my dorm reservations at UW-OSH, and I have scheduled my COVID-19 vaccinations. I am planning on going, but I hear voices and those voices tell me to plan on being disappointed. So, I will hope for the best and plan on the worst. Another thing to consider is that they should soon know if the vaccination also prevents the spread of the virus. If that is the case then there might be a requirement to have been vaccinated to attend large public gatherings. Whatever. If it means that I would have to be vaccinated with a 10 inch needle in each of my gluteus maximus muscles in order to attend AV2021, I will be one of many standing at the bars rather than sitting.
    Last edited by Lindberg; 01-17-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    Bob, Hope you guys will have a full recovery.
    Thanks Jim, My wife went back to work last Thursday, 1/14 after 10 days of quarantine, she's a nurse at the hospital that was ground zero for S.C. I'm a good bit older that she is so I don't work anymore. Well, I don't get paid anymore but I stay busy. We both agreed we have been much sicker in the past, although this was no picnic either, but we are probably back to about 90% now. I need to get back to the airport and visit the usual crowd and get some flying in, that 150 isn't going to fly itself. Lol. We do take a fair amount of precautions but we refuse to live our lives in a bubble. I appreciate the well wishes and hope everyone here stays safe and can get back to normal as much as possible.
    Bob

Latest projection I heard from our suburban Chicago county health department is it will take most of 2021 to get all that want to be inoculated inoculated. Even if the vaccine was available, which it isn't, the logistics are daunting and no one in the multiple layers of government that are in charge have ever dealt with anything approaching this scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    Latest projection I heard from our suburban Chicago county health department is it will take most of 2021 to get all that want to be inoculated inoculated. Even if the vaccine was available, which it isn't, the logistics are daunting and no one in the multiple layers of government that are in charge have ever dealt with anything approaching this scale.
    Too many fiefdoms. As disastrous as this thing is, I'm sure there are plenty in the private sector who could put an effective plan together and get this thing rolling in the right direction (maybe not the *perfect* direction) very quickly.

All of this planning and preparing should have been done months ago. The Allies didn't plan D-day on the fly. There was a huge amount of planning done, at a very detailed level, beforehand.

This is much simpler, but the scale is huge. The planning and logistics should have been figured out to a very high level of detail before Thanksgiving.

Well I am beginning to feel more optimistic about AV2021.
    Georgia has started vaccines for anyone 65 and older. Last week I actually got into the North Georgia Public Health District after dialing a mere 217 times only to get told that my county was booked and not taking anymore reservations. I politely hung up and then realized that I should have asked for an out of county location, cr#p! So today I got thru and asked for another location and was assigned the same date that I have jury duty (really I'm not making this up) and they would not give me another date. So I hung up and tried 2.5 hours later and got thru.....much to my surprise. I now have a reservation a week from today and its even earlier than my jury date. Oh, I also purchased my AV 2021 tickets. Still on the fence as to whether I want to camp or commute in daily. Leaning towards camping this year.

I am astounded that a 6 county health district has only one telephone line for scheduling COVID tests and vaccines. What were these people thinking??? The NGPHD website has been crashed for about two weeks now just due to lack of bandwidth. Can't believe the state and local governments have had almost a year to prepare for this moment and they act like it just popped up yesterday. It could be worse, I hear that Wisconsin is only administering the vaccine to the general public only if you're 75 or older.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the VA called my Dad a few days ago, unsolicited, to schedule his shots. He's 83 and has some compromising conditions, so we're thrilled that he's on the books so quickly; he gets the first jab tomorrow. Every once in awhile the VA gets it right.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hey everyone -- just a follow-up to some of the comments made about the likelihood of AirVenture 2021 happening. We are planning for AirVenture 2021 to take place. There will likely be some COVID-19 precautions/restrictions in place (i.e. social distancing, capacity limits indoors, extra sanitization, etc.), but we are going full-steam ahead on AirVenture 2021 planning. We'll be announcing some of our plans in terms of COVID precautions within the next few weeks, though those plans may change as the event gets closer. Updates will be announced on EAA.org, in eHotline, as well as our primary social media pages such as Facebook and Twitter. Hope to see many of you in Oshkosh this summer!

That's encouraging. My room reservations are made and I will be bringing more sanitizer. Maybe some Depends.......

Thanks for update Sam. As a tram operator, it will be interesting to see how transportation will be handled if the event goes forward

Thanks Sam. Pending some major setback, I think its going to boil down to a couple of issues.
    First, just how comfortable will people be traveling and attending AV even with protocols in place. The question in my mind is will the rollout of the vaccine to the general public come in time to provide that confidence. Opinions tend to fall into two camps without many in the mid ground. I guess advance ticket sales will be a good measure for attendance estimates.

The second is what impacts will the protocols have on attendee experience. Unfortunately AV is a cluster of social gathering nightmares for y'all: buses, trams, interview circles, exhibit halls, restrooms, workshops, food courts, etc. Some things are easy to fix like more porta-potties or increased dining spaces. I doubt EAA can or will add more tram cars simply due to expense and the time line. Same can be said for the new Gray Lot bus terminal. What's going to happen when an attendee can't get into a venue because of occupation limits. You know somebody is going to complain that they paid for full access and got turned away from a venue. What then?

Quite honestly I don't envy you guys. Y'all have to make some tough decisions and no matter what is decided somebody is going to be unhappy. I think that is going to be the one true given.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun