Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Isn’t that where EAA meetings started?!? Well, at least the basement part.
    OK, But I was thinking more along the lines of, The Gestapo! Too many people gathering in one spot, are y'all conspiring against the government, are y'all breaking the law in there, come out with your hands up !!!
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 12-02-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Your papers, please. .....Mein herr your papers are not in order!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    ... That places us at fall before enough herd immunity protects those not vaccinated...
    G'day Jim and other EAAers.

I don't believe that any of the manufacturers of the current crop of vaccines are claiming that their vaccine will prevent infection by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, just that it will prevent severe, and potentially life-threatening, illness after infection. That is, anyone who is vaccinated can still be infected by the virus and spread it to others. I understand that herd immunity will only be achieved once a vaccine can prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection. As I have previously stated, I'm not a virologist, so I'd be happy to be corrected by anyone who is qualified.

Sadly, I think that it is highly likely that Osh. '21 will be cancelled. I hope that you all stay safe and healthy.

Cheers from Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    G'day Jim and other EAAers.

I don't believe that any of the manufacturers of the current crop of vaccines are claiming that their vaccine will prevent infection by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, just that it will prevent severe, and potentially life-threatening, illness after infection. That is, anyone who is vaccinated can still be infected by the virus and spread it to others. I understand that herd immunity will only be achieved once a vaccine can prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection. As I have previously stated, I'm not a virologist, so I'd be happy to be corrected by anyone who is qualified.
    Pfizer press release:

"Primary efficacy analysis demonstrates BNT162b2 to be 95% effective against COVID-19 beginning 28 days after the first dose;170 confirmed cases of COVID-19 were evaluated, with 162 observed in the placebo group versus 8 in the vaccine group"

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

Perhaps you're thinking of the report on the effectiveness of the Moderna vaccine. They report a similar effectiveness of around 94%, PLUS the remaining 6% who did develop COVID had mild cases rather than severe ones.

"Vaccine efficacy against COVID-19 was 94.1%; vaccine efficacy against severe COVID-19 was 100%"

https://investors.modernatx.com/news...e-3-cove-study

Ron Wanttaja

Hey Ron, many thanks for your response and the hyperlinks 👍

Apologies if my previous post was so poorly written that the intended message was not clear. My Year 9 English teacher would be very disappointed with my performance.

Covid-19 is the disease that results from a SARS-CoV-2 virus infection. The vaccines will prevent the disease developing after someone one is infected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. I cannot recall any of the manufacturers claiming that their vaccine will prevent the virus from infecting a vaccinated person.

Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    EAA is going to have quite a headache in handling this, even with a vaccine. Will attendees be required to be vaccinated? What proof will they need to show?
    The CDC has released information as to the cards those receiving vaccines will be issued:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/healt...ard/index.html

Of course, they'll be easy to forge....

Ron Wanttaja

My doc told me it would be probably be May/June timeframe for the average folks to get a vaccination.
    So what is the timing between doses? Can’t seem to find the answer on that. Interesting that the card had lines for up to four entries. Are they telegraphing something we don’t know? Also reading that several carriers and the IATA are kicking around the idea of a vaccination passport for international traveler.
    The real question is this all gonna happen in time to save AV2021.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Given that most EAA'ers are members of the Silent and Boomer generations, we will be vaccinated by 1Q 2021. Let's hear it for Silent-Boomer-Venture '21.

Quote Originally Posted by mbalexander View Post
    Yeah, the SICKEST my dad and brother EVER got, was the time they got a flu shot. They both swore up and down, that in order to have died, they would've had to have gotten better. I've never had a flu shot.
    That's how I thought until I caught the swine flu many years ago. It was the sickest I have ever been. Now, I get a flu shot every year and have never caught the flu. I'll be ready for the coronavirus vaccine as soon as I can get it. I'm 73 years old now and want to see few more AirVentures (have never missed one since 1985) before I fly West. And, NO, I did not miss one this year because they did not have one to miss, but I still bought the T shirt.

The speculation on all of this is whether national is willing to roll the dice hoping for distribution and effectiveness by mid July. In addition, are we able to have enough early birds to get the grounds and facilities up to par starting in June? The most recent relief act includes exemption from liability litigation for businesses - the one that will be in McConnell's hands. It will not be an easy decision. I was able to make AV19 and feel lucky at that.