Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

What are masks good for? Not as many people are spitting onto the sidewalk anymore. Thank you, masks. A lot less people are smoking from their car to the store enterance. Thank you, masks. Other than that.....not much use.
    First, there are no standards as to what is a effective, useful mask. Anyone with a sewing machine can hack one out of what ever material they have on hand. Then there are those folks who don't wear them effectively. How often have you seen the nose fully exposed? I've even seen folks walking around the store without a second thought with the mask drapped around their chin. If your glasses fog over......it ain't working. Face sheild? Useless except for stopping a direct sneeze or cough. Loose fitting mask? Your hand is constantly readjusting the mask and then any germs on your mask get transferred to your hand and in turn transferred to evey thing you touch. I find it humorous that a store clerk will sanitize the stylus and touchpad between customers but no one is sanitizing the door knob or shopping carts and the sanitizing station is empty of wipes.
    I so look forward to not having to wear a mask, even if I do wear shoes and a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Franck View Post
    What are masks good for? Not as many people are spitting onto the sidewalk anymore. Thank you, masks. A lot less people are smoking from their car to the store enterance. Thank you, masks. Other than that.....not much use.
    First, there are no standards as to what is a effective, useful mask. Anyone with a sewing machine can hack one out of what ever material they have on hand. Then there are those folks who don't wear them effectively. How often have you seen the nose fully exposed? I've even seen folks walking around the store without a second thought with the mask drapped around their chin. If your glasses fog over......it ain't working. Face sheild? Useless except for stopping a direct sneeze or cough. Loose fitting mask? Your hand is constantly readjusting the mask and then any germs on your mask get transferred to your hand and in turn transferred to evey thing you touch. I find it humorous that a store clerk will sanitize the stylus and touchpad between customers but no one is sanitizing the door knob or shopping carts and the sanitizing station is empty of wipes.
    I so look forward to not having to wear a mask, even if I do wear shoes and a shirt.
    Ideally, everyone would wear an effective, properly-fitting mask, but in real life that's never going to happen. But you can find plenty of both scientific evidence and anecdotal accounts (e.g., videos showing how even simple masks catch exhaled air) showing that they do work. In the real world, they're not 100% effective, but little is. About 25% of homebuilt accidents result in a fatality, despite seat belts and shoulder harness. Is that an argument for NOT wearing seat belts?

I fully agree they're a PITA, but use is getting almost automatic. Pull up into the grocery store parking lot, grab a mask from the center console, slip it on. Back when this first started, you couldn't find masks for love nor money, so I actually DID take some old pajamas from the rag box and whip out the thirty-year-old sewing machine. Result wasn't pretty. Commercial versions are much more available now.

At the beginning of the pandemic, they didn't know how the contagion spread, so we got warnings about wearing gloves and not touching surfaces. Now, it's understood to be airborne, and they're less concerned about transmission by touching surfaces. I was actually able to buy a can of Lysol last week.

One good thing is that the medical profession has improved its knowledge on how to treat it, and the survival rate is improving. Have a biweekly zoom meeting with fellow retirees from my old organization... all old [censored] like me. About a third of them have caught it (and their wives, and their adult kids, etc.). All have survived it, though one still lacks a sense of taste or smell (long-hauler). Best comment was from one of the newest sufferers: "Zero stars. Would not recommend."

Ron Wanttaja

We’re they Star Wars or Batman PJs ������
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    We’re they Star Wars or Batman PJs ������
    Fireball XL5. They *were* getting a bit tight in the waist....

Ron "Okay, Venus?" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Fireball XL5. They *were* getting a bit tight in the waist....

Ron "Okay, Venus?" Wanttaja
    Cool. I had a Fireball XL5 lunchbox in the first grade.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Cool. I had a Fireball XL5 lunchbox in the first grade.
    What, you mean you don't have it any more? :-)
    Name:  fireball.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  59.1 KB
    (Actually, my wife got this for me for Christmas a few years back.)

Ron Wanttaja

Sorry guys but as a kid I just couldn’t get into the puppets but boy I didn’t miss an episode of Johnny Quest. Now that was must see Saturday morning TV!!
    FYI, I like your Robin Hood mug.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Sorry guys but as a kid I just couldn’t get into the puppets but boy I didn’t miss an episode of Johnny Quest. Now that was must see Saturday morning TV!!
    FYI, I like your Robin Hood mug.
    That's Toby from 12 O'Clock High!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    That's Toby from 12 O'Clock High!
    Yup. Behind the lunch box you can the the top of a frame. It holds an original lobby card for the movie (basically a small version of the poster).

Ron Wanttaja

To be more correct, Toby is the style which could be a face or a full figure. The character is Robin Hood. Even repos of this piece are pretty pricey. Still pretty cool and an awesome movie.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime