Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Sad

[QUOTE=For those with herd immunity in their narrative ( you know who you are) you need to pick a family member to sacrifice.[/QUOTE]

EVERY time I hear people use this kind of fear mongering logic I instantly balk. Like they say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink."
    I don't do flu shots, but I do exersise, take supplements, get outdoors, wash my hands and typically distance myself from strangers, even in the best of times.
    If they do develop a vaccine it's highly doubtful I'd get the shot, and if government or institutions mandate it I'll resist it even more so.
    I value freedom over the illusion of safety.
    As for AirVenture 2021 happening, I don't see that happening during a Biden/Harris administration. It's already rumored they will favor lock-downs.
    I'm not trying to make this political, but you get what you vote for.

[QUOTE=Ronald Franck;83104]EVERY time I hear people use this kind of fear mongering logic I instantly balk. Like they say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink."
    I don't do flu shots, but I do exersise, take supplements, get outdoors, wash my hands and typically distance myself from strangers, even in the best of times.
    If they do develop a vaccine it's highly doubtful I'd get the shot, and if government or institutions mandate it I'll resist it even more so.
    I value freedom over the illusion of safety.
    As for AirVenture 2021 happening, I don't see that happening during a Biden/Harris administration. It's already rumored they will favor lock-downs.
    I'm not trying to make this political, but you get what you vote for.[

My sentiments exactly!!

Then again, if I had a nickel for every Internet comment along the lines of "Bush is going to ruin things by..." or "Obama is going to ruin things by..." or "Trump is going to ruin things by...." that DIDN'T happen... Well, I could hold my OWN Oshkosh.

Ron Wanttaja

Well, we went this year and had a great time even though it was cancelled. We’ll go next year too whether there’s an official event or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 11-13-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

If there is a national lockdown/restriction, (IMO should have been done in April) it will be about 6-8 weeks. Look at OZ and NZ , Taiwan, S Korea. This is like a loan - quick big pay off or long expensive compound interest. We are in the latter. I am still seeing chapter posts of running young eagles events with no masks in sight and food service with everyone handling the buffet utensils. I am in Sacramento and we just returned to purple - again. Montana and the Dakotas are in hospital overwhelm. Please be safe out there.... if not for yourself then for your neighbor.

I didn't used to get flu shots but my daughter made it clear early on that we weren't going to be able to see the grandbabies without a flu shot and DPT. Fortunately, I had cut my hand a few months earlier and ended up getting stitches at the doc-in-a-box. They didn't have any straight tetanus shots to give me, so I got a DTaP. Our local supermarket gives out flu shots and gives you a $10 gift card so you can buy yourself a lollipop afterward.

I'll probably go and get a shingles vaccine when I have time. I have had chicken pox as a kid and my wife has had shingles as an adult and there are some bad side effects that do crop up.

The damage to sense of smell is enough to scare me into being careful with COVID if nothing else. I'm a certified wine judge and am probably sitting on over $100,000 of wine and don't want to risk not being able to enjoy those.

The truth is whatever public health mandates exist come next Spring could take the decision to hold AV 2021 out of EAA’s hands.

Last month the governor reinstated mandates citing increasing infection and death rates amongst various age groups. Of course there were no goals provided for the cancellation of this order. One of the mandates restricts building occupancy to 25%. This alone IMO would make conducting AV difficult at best. Wanna bet it’s still in place come April-May time frame?

FYI, I did the shingles vaccine when I turned 50 years ago, it was no big deal.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I'm still planning to go, and like so many have said, we won't know until they let us know. But untill then, it's full speed aheads!
    Oh, Airmutt: FYI, I did the shingles vaccine when I turned 50 years ago, it was no big deal. That's before they wanted to implant a chip in everyone !!! Lol
    Bob, we don't need no stinkin" chip !

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    Many thanks for providing these facts and figures, Ron.

I read with alarm that hospitals in our collective second home, Wisconsin, are approaching a tipping point due to the high volume of Covid-19 patients. My best wishes to everyone in the state, and the USA generally, during this medical emergency.

George
    My daughter works for one of the hospitals that is reaching a "tipping point". She said one of the biggest reasons for that is the nursing homes in WI are not allowing ANY new patients into their care from the hospitals. So patients that may have stayed in the hospital for just a few days and then went to a nursing home for recovery are no longer able to do that. Hence a bed in the hospital stays full for longer.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    My daughter works for one of the hospitals that is reaching a "tipping point". She said one of the biggest reasons for that is the nursing homes in WI are not allowing ANY new patients into their care from the hospitals. So patients that may have stayed in the hospital for just a few days and then went to a nursing home for recovery are no longer able to do that. Hence a bed in the hospital stays full for longer.
    That's part of the cascading effect of the pandemic. Hospitals are not only occupied with COVID infectees, they still have to handle "normal" emergencies and the load on resources is increased. In at least one state, they're requiring infected doctors and nurses to keep working...they're all they have. "Regular" surgery, even stuff like cancer surgery, is being postponed because the hospitals can't handle it.

My 95-year-old Dad, in a nursing home, is having some mental health issues due to loneliness....since March, outside visits are limited to one person, one hour a week, and most of the other residents are staying away from the group areas. Looking at the stats for Minnesota (where he lives), I don't think his situation will improve soon.

Name:  minn.JPG
Views: 2739
Size:  32.0 KB
    (from https://www.worldometers.info/corona...usa/minnesota/)

News report today said that about half the population says they won't get a vaccine, when it's available. So if major events (like AirVenture) require vaccination to attend, that's going to be a huge PR problem.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 11-15-2020 at 08:38 PM.