Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    Is the COVID-19 vaccine effective in protecting the people who get the vaccination or not? If those who get the vaccination are protected after the appropriate time following the second vaccination, then there should not be a great risk for you from those who may be carrying the virus. After all, the vaccination is to protect the receiver of it. If that is the case then those who get the vaccination should feel relatively safe. Those who don't are at risk.
    You're absolutely right. The vaccine mostly protects you from having moderate or worse symptoms. It isn't certain that it prevents you from contacting the disease or being a carrier.

Which means you *might* still be a transmission vector to the unvaccinated. And there will be several flavors of unvaccinated. The "not gonna" crowd plus some people who will be excluded for various reasons (age, potential for negative reactions, whatever).

So there is likely to be a push for some time after mass vaccinations to mask and distance. I get it, but yuck.

I wonder what (conspiracy) theories people will come up with to explain away the excess death statistics: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

If there's any way the US borders will be open for visitors by the summer I intend to be at AV2021. No problems wearing a face mask all week; I'm happy to leave the posing to others. Plus I'll be near the South 40 to photograph arrivals anyway - even in non-COVID-times I always need to be well away from the (loud)speakers to maintain sanity.

I am wondering what measures will be taken at Camp Scholler, however. I really can't see 60 or so people using the showers or the washbasins at the same time, not when there is a virus like this one around. I suppose I'll have to start looking into renting an RV.

Keep safe,

Roger

Well, I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but I hope the fly-in is held with as few restrictions as possible. You can't eradicate an airborne virus, and this one, while very contagious, has an extremely low death rate. And while I feel awful for the people who have died and their families (particularly the people in nursing homes who were basicaly murdered), that death rate is suspect because of all of the misclassification, AND it does not account for the people who have had the virus but didn't feel badly enough to seek medical care. Most of us have been exposed to it at this point. If someone has health issues that put them at risk, then they should do what the need to do to avoid the virus. If someone doesn't want to go out, then stay home. If someone feels safer in a cloth mask, wear one. If EAA requires masks on their property, I would comply. But please don't cancel.
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 01-21-2021 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Political

I
    am wondering what measures will be taken at Camp Scholler, however. I really can't see 60 or so people using the showers or the washbasins at the same time
    Just don't shower, people will keep their distance !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    You can't eradicate an airborne virus, and this one, while very contagious, has an extremely low death rate.
    Maybe you and I see things differently. By the end of this thing (this fall, maybe?), something like 1 1/2 of every thousand Americans will die from this. And that's over the course of a year, year and a half. Relatively speaking, it is a big deal. Certainly the worst pandemic the US has seen in 100 years.

I suspect the prevelence of so-called "co-morbidities" is higher in the Oshkosh attendance than the population as a whole. We already know we lost one of Vintage's long time volunteer and had several more (including one who was a frontline nurse in her "day job") get it and suffer. Just because someone has some other condition doesn't mean they deserve to die because of a bunch of self-centered jerks who think they're invincible.

Look we’re not going to change peoples minds here. Go—don’t go; Whichever choice makes sense for you. If it’s on I’m going. I went to OSH last year even though the show was cancelled and might do the same this year.

Truth in lending I wear a mask only where required and I do so mainly so proprietors don’t get into trouble, but to be honest I think it’s effectiveness in places like restaurants is dubious at best. I do not plan to get the vaccine but I haven’t gotten a flu shot either since I left active duty in 2008. Oh and I’m pretty well informed as I’m involved in the procurement and distribution of the vaccine for all of DoD.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Look we’re not going to change peoples minds here. Go—don’t go; Whichever choice makes sense for you. If it’s on I’m going. I went to OSH last year even though the show was cancelled and might do the same this year.

Truth in lending I wear a mask only where required and I do so mainly so proprietors don’t get into trouble, but to be honest I think it’s effectiveness in places like restaurants is dubious at best. I do not plan to get the vaccine but I haven’t gotten a flu shot either since I left active duty in 2008. Oh and I’m pretty well informed as I’m involved in the procurement and distribution of the vaccine for all of DoD.
    Got any um.. excess doses? I'm thinking a guy could make big bucks with a booth in the flymart at SnF... Just sayin'. ;-)

Sun-N-Fun has been announced as "GO" for this year. Roger (from Belgium), no problem, just fly into Mexico and walk across the southern border - it will be wide open. Plus, you won't have to take any CV-19 tests and prove negative results (which would be required if you were to fly into the U.S.).

Wonder if they will be doing temp checks as a requirement for entry????
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun