Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

looks like aeromart are going to be there
    I'm bringing 2 years worth of stuff !!!!
    https://chapters.eaa.org/Aeromart

any word on work weekends ????

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    Get a life. I was teasing. Also I do not need your "permission" to make a statement. I said that I was just teasing. That should be good enough. Buy the way I was also a senior member for 8 years and was a qualified SAR pilot who also gave many cadets theit first ride in aircraft. So, calm down and forgetaboutit.
    I was pointing out that your narrative did not read like teasing. At least not teasing in the manner of good humored ribbing. We can all make mistakes in writing that can be taken in ways contrary to our intent. That is all I meant by that line. In similar manner, I did not intend to assert that you needed MY "permission" to do or say anything.

My own opinion (which may be different than yours) is that I am glad that they are there, doing what they do, just like any of the other 5000 volunteers. Like all of us, they make mistakes. Teenagers are, by their nature, prone to be overly enthusiastic about a great many things, and therefore, somewhat more prone to make mistakes. Following up on what Steve Costello wrote, a kind word and good humor does more to defuse any situation than anything else. Just my own opinion.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Placing teenagers in positions where they are essential directing adults just creates opportunities for conflict. Don’t care if they are CAP cadets, riding on scooters patrolling the show line or directing car parking out in the lots. And yes it goes both ways.....there are kids out there that can’t or don’t know how to deal with adults and then there are adults who don’t do well taking directions from kids regardless. Y’all should meander out to the parking lots in the mornings and listen to some of the comments when folks get parked closer to another vehicle than desired.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Trying to direct/inform crowds is VERY much like herding cats at a rocking chair convention. People come to major events like this and often just don't see where they're going or notice what they're doing. As in all things in life a lot of patience and at least a little understanding goes a long way. By the end of the long day those two commodities can be in short supply. I remain constantly amazed at how 'safe' the AirVenture environment actually is.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I agree. My comments were based on decades of observations. Over the years I’ve seen the up and down side of it all. But you’re right, given the number of people and the amount of vehicle/aircraft movements it is really amazing just how few incidents there are.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

several years back I was driving a cart on the cart path between building A and C.
    stopped to let some people pass. A guy looking at his cell phone walked right into the front of the golf cart
    He went down then started screaming at me for not watching what I was doing--he then informed me if he was hurt--he was going to sue me!!! A group of bystanders who saw the whole thing--came up and informed him I was stopped and that HE had walked into me. He got up and walked away. I never drive a vehicle on the grounds during the airshow--people are looking up and aren't watching what they are doing
    I am not a fan of the car clubs driving mustangs etc inside the grounds---they don't understand the mind set of the airplane crowds
    I'm more stressed driving around the grounds than shooting a approach to minimums with low fuel !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    My own opinion (which may be different than yours) is that I am glad that they are there, doing what they do, just like any of the other 5000 volunteers.
    Never said that I disapproved of them being there. The EAA AirVenture CAP encampment is like a Mecca to them. I don't feel sorry for them when it is hot and miserable out there on the flight line. They love it. They love every bit of it and they seek the challenges. BTW: Don't forget to monitor 121.5 after you land that beast or you might have the CAP tracking you down like an escaped felon unless your landings were a smooth as mine.

Hey all, REALLY looking forward to returning to Osh this year...have been away far too long :-(...and I have a question you might be able to answer. Do you know if it is permitted to bring an airband receiver (not transmitter !) on site or is that a strict no-no ?. Would like to listen in thru the daily activities and its also assuming I'll be able to bring one in from over the Pond and thru Customs. Any advice gratefully received
    Cheers

Gary

No restrictions on receivers, or transmitters for that matter... as long as you don't transmit. I usually have a handheld aviation transceiver with me when I go.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.