Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

I'm a plumber and electrician. I sometimes wear a mask when I do service calls.......to curb the stench in some of the nasty houses I have go in to. Otherwise, I don't wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    I worry about certain areas
    Registration in the north 40 is almost all Canadians
    if their country requires a two week quarantine when they return---most of those people will not show up
    I’m guessing attendance will be around 85% of previous years. International visitors will be down even more. SNF might be a good yardstick. Will have to wait and see. Personally I don’t think the current vaccine distribution rate is going to be sufficient to change public (those 50 and older) opinion from shunning large public gatherings.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I've had N95's on in public since I got home from Australia last March. It was pretty clear once you got around the political bull that the virus was transmitted by aerosolized droplets and the N95 was going to be pretty effective against that. I was fortunate that I'm sensitive to wood dust so I happened to have a couple of boxes of masks in my workshop. Margy had also bought some because we feared Australia would still be on fire when we go there (turned out it poured down rain while we were en route pretty much cleaning that up).

Even notwithstanding the mortality, my sense of smell is pretty darned important to me (I'm a wine judge and have a substantial amount invested in that), so I'm not risking things.

I've been saying for quite some time that I don't expect there to be an Airventure 2021. There are too many pre-req's that might be met if all the stars line up, but Vegas thrives on such sucker bets. Moreover, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the percentage of attendees who follow CoViD-19 protocols will be any greater than the population at large. Some will be inoculated but there is no data on whether that affects virus-shedding. Two weeks camping and volunteering is hard enough on the body.

The epidemiologists who are closest to the matter are saying that it will next fall before we might see a lower DefCon level. Even then, the risk of exposure won't be back to "normal" (zero) for a quickly-mutating deadly virus.

Alison and I decided several weeks ago that we would not attend, and notified our volunteer management. I have already received my "AV2021" t-shirt, so my collection is intact.

When Jack has to make the call, I hope he pulls the plug. We don't want to be responsible for an "Aviation Sturgis" super-spreader event.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrexx View Post
    I've been saying for quite some time that I don't expect there to be an Airventure 2021.
    You might be right, but I hope you are wrong. Today I received notice from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Housing for Airventure, where I now stay (camped North 40 for more than 25 years). They informed me that they are planning on AirVenture 2021 and what to do should I decide not to attend this year regarding refunds or extending it for 2022. In otherwords they believe that there will be an EAA AirVenture 2021. I am certain that they are in communication with EAA. Anything can happen, but I am planning on being there. Yes, I will be vaccinated (I have my first vaccination now and waiting for the 2nd) and I will bring my cattle prod, just for good measure.
    Last edited by Lindberg; 02-19-2021 at 08:03 PM.

With a recovery rate for Covid between 97% and 99.75% and the Pfizer Covid vaccine is 52% effective, I'll take my changes, no vaccine for me or my wife. We both had Covid in January and came through it pretty well, I'm 74 and she is 59. We live in a rural area and most people don't wear mask, even in big box stores and no one seems to mind. I don't believe it was ever as bad as it was made out to be but that's just my opinion. I may croke tomorrow, but if A/V is on, and I'm still kickin', I'm going. I may bring a mask with me, just in case, maybe.
    Bob

I just took advantage of the option of having my wristband mailed to me. That’s a first and a proactive step to reduce he congestion around the main gate area.
    All the stores around here have the obligatory mask required signage but it’s not enforced. Saw the same thing while up in Wisconsin last summer. I guess businesses meet the letter of the “law” to be open but in reality don’t want to alienate customs either. We can discuss he efficacy of masks until the cows come home, but the real question is EAA really going to enforce wearing them? Georgia jumped out pretty early and passed a law that protected businesses from COVID lawsuits. Not sure if Wisconsin has the same in effect. EAA is a pretty risk adverse organization. If planning on attending I would expect to be required to be masked (at least in certain areas) as a condition of attendance.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    ...the Pfizer Covid vaccine is 52% effective...
    From the CDC website:

The body of evidence for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was primarily informed by one large, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase II/III clinical trial that enrolled >43,000 participants (median age = 52 years, range = 16–91 years). Interim findings from this clinical trial, using data from participants with a median of 2 months of follow-up, indicate that the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine was 95.0% effective (95% confidence interval = 90.3%–97.6%) in preventing symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 in persons without evidence of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection. Consistent high efficacy (≥92%) was observed across age, sex, race, and ethnicity categories and among persons with underlying medical conditions. Efficacy was similarly high in a secondary analysis including participants both with or without evidence of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection.
    You may be thinking of Johnson & Johnson; theirs is a single-dose vaccine and is less effective, but still not that bad.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrexx View Post
    Alison and I decided several weeks ago that we would not attend, and notified our volunteer management. I have already received my "AV2021" t-shirt, so my collection is intact.

When Jack has to make the call, I hope he pulls the plug. We don't want to be responsible for an "Aviation Sturgis" super-spreader event.
    I guess it's ok to cancel as long as your t-shirt collection is intact.

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    "Pfizer Covid vaccine is 52% effective, I'll take my changes, no vaccine for me or my wife."
    Bob
    Hmm....I thought I read that Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were 95 % effective in about a godzillion articles. Whatever.....but if Buzz Aldrin get the jab, so am I. (I already have had jab #1 and waiting for #2.)