Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Thanks, Ron. I'm getting my first Pfizer tomorrow. It sounds like it isn't nearly as bad as my first Shingrix shot (got four weeks ago) which had me nearly unable to walk for a day. My wife laughed about my reaction until it hit her about twelve hours later (my onset and recovery were faster for some reason).

Looking forward to AirVenture 2021. Interested in the new Express Arrival. But a few thoughts come to mind.

1. In regards to Camp Scholler. Will a separate entry gate be used for Express Arrivals, so that they don’t get caught in lines of campers that use standard arrival procedures? This has always been a problem for those that pre-purchase camping. They get stuck in the long line out on the feeder road, due to all lines of the entry gate being full. It would be helpful to have a separate entry gate for Express Arrivals, and efficient way to “redirect” standard arrivals that accidently approach the wrong entry gate, so their error doesn’t cause delays for those with Express Arrival.

2. Will it be possible to request a set of single day entry wrist bands as part of Express Arrival, instead of the single weekly band? The first thing I do, after a hot day “walking the grounds and on the flight line”, and upon return to camp, is cut that *$#@ wrist band off my wrist, so I can enjoy the evening and my sleep without the bothersome band.

3. Perhaps the Camp Scholler Express Arrival gate can utilize hand held scanners, to scan passes that are pre-mounted on the vehicle (inside windshield?) so that vehicles can pass through in a rapid manner, thereby realizing the concept of an Express Arrival.

Just a few thoights for consideration.

You would think it would work that way. Based on my experience with advanced purchased parking permit your suggestion is a too difficult concept for EAA to conceive. In fact I quit buying an advanced parking permit because you just get stuck inline with the cash payers. So buying an advanced permit gets you what?? I’ve noted this in the post event survey with no apparent response.
    On the flip side I credit EAA with advanced mailing of the wristbands. Given their fear of wristbands being counterfeited and lost revenues someone made a monumental decision.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Wsquare View Post
    Looking forward to AirVenture 2021. Interested in the new Express Arrival. But a few thoughts come to mind.

1. In regards to Camp Scholler. Will a separate entry gate be used for Express Arrivals, so that they don’t get caught in lines of campers that use standard arrival procedures? This has always been a problem for those that pre-purchase camping. They get stuck in the long line out on the feeder road, due to all lines of the entry gate being full. It would be helpful to have a separate entry gate for Express Arrivals, and efficient way to “redirect” standard arrivals that accidently approach the wrong entry gate, so their error doesn’t cause delays for those with Express Arrival.

2. Will it be possible to request a set of single day entry wrist bands as part of Express Arrival, instead of the single weekly band? The first thing I do, after a hot day “walking the grounds and on the flight line”, and upon return to camp, is cut that *$#@ wrist band off my wrist, so I can enjoy the evening and my sleep without the bothersome band.

3. Perhaps the Camp Scholler Express Arrival gate can utilize hand held scanners, to scan passes that are pre-mounted on the vehicle (inside windshield?) so that vehicles can pass through in a rapid manner, thereby realizing the concept of an Express Arrival.

Just a few thoights for consideration.
    How about just going in the gate on Ripple by the dump station. If you have credentials that should work fine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I agree with the above . Pre Pay doesn't do any good if you have to wait in the line . Ripple will work just fine . Put up some large signs on the perimeter road telling Pre Pays to use Ripple !

Prepay doesn't mean you have camping credentials does it? The prepay just lets the eaa suck your money early. You still have to trade your receipt in for the actual credentials. The main gate is the same disaster with people who prepurchase. It doesn't end up saving any time.

Express Arrival - Camping check-in:

• Express Arrival camping check-in will allow attendees who pre-purchases their camping to enter Camp Scholler without exiting their car. Simply present your mailed or printed at home voucher at the entry point, and you’ll be on your way!

• A separate entry gate will be utilized for express camping check-in. If utilizing express check-in you will enter Camp Scholler via the Gray Lot entrance, which is located a few hundred feet north of the main Camp Scholler entrance on Poberezny Rd.

• This is only for Camp Scholler arrivals on Thursday July 22 through Sunday July 25.
    • Express camping check-in is recommended for people who don't have any questions. If you do or aren't sure how to get to your campsite, it's recommended you follow the signage for "Camp Scholler Regular Check-in".
    • Upon arrival, you will have a choice which lane you’d like to use. Simply follow the directional signs.

Last edited by Auburntsts; 03-14-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

After 28 years of Oshkosh attendance, we often don't much make it north of the Vintage red barn during the show. The exception is meeting up with POA folk at Jay Honeck's party on Wednesday night. Most of our friends are Vintage folks and we volunteer on the fight line there. We're definitely going this year. Margy and I will both have our second Pfizer shot by the end of the month. The only complication this year is our third grandson is due the week before we would normally travel (we usually arrive Tuesday or Wednesday a week before the show). Our current plans is my wife will go to be with her daughter, and I'll scoop her up from GAI on the way. DC-> OSH as apposed to NC26-OSH avoids some terrain that a friend of mine refers to as "North Korea." (which is about what your life expectancy would be if you went down there).

My sister and I got out first vaccinations in separate ques of 3100 each on successive days at the beginning of March and our window for a second dose opens first for me on February 28 and is urgent after 44 days from the first when I can simply walk in if not called before.

My situation with respect to attending Oshkosh in person this year is not having a routine way to arrive and secure lodging. I have not owned or driven an automobile or held a driver's license since 1987. To get to the Harley-Davidson museum after I retired I took Amtrak from Birmingham, Michigan and stayed in the Iron Horse Hotel nearby in Milwaukee where I could walk over every day. To get to the "Tail Hook" celebration in Reno, I flew commercial Air connecting at Phoenix from Detroit and stayed at the conference hotel using the courtesy shuttle both ways.

Now I am in Austin, Texas. I need to have enough funds to charter a jet! Then where would I stay? I don't think my sister is willing to do a whole week, which I would prefer. Taking AMTRAK staying in Chicago and taking the hourly train to Milwaukee and back each day leaves me needing to rent a bicycle to get to Oshkosh and the grounds and everyone would think it was public and take off with it whenever I left it unattended.

Skydiving in? I envy the campers; camped under the wings of their aircraft. I mostly talked to Boeing last year online and viewed the podcasts so this year I would like to do much better. If I can't really be there I could at least make a donation to the foundation equal to what it would have cost me as I did the first year with Tail hook Education Foundation.

In 2003 I was able to see the A/RIA I had done the mission analysis for outside at the Dayton Air Museum but not go to the AIAA 100 years of Flight Conference. I have a blow up of myself beside the "Bird of Prey" NC-135 my sister took and my grandson now has one also to move beyond Camaro's based on the Transformer's Bumblebee.

My parents got me to Warner-Robbins and the 1st production F-15 "Eagle" to update my FX-proposal data and simulation as well as seeing how downgraded in presentation the Korean War exhibits have become.