Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

I guess another difference at this year’s event will be the line of military vehicles parked across the field will be replaced with a line of Oshkosh mail trucks.
    https://nypost.com/2021/02/23/usps-u...g-mail-trucks/
    Name:  E8096C45-0646-4681-BE10-2331CABAC8E6.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  12.3 KB

Apparently appearance wasn't one of the criteria in the Postal Service's RFQ. I think the Pontiac Aztek and Fiat Multipla just lost lost their shared crown as the ugliest vehicles ever made.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I actually like it. It's a high box, so most carriers will be able to stand up inside. That makes it easier to work in as well as load. The huge windshield and the high seating position gives the driver great visibility forward for maneuvering in tight areas. Also, note that the *side* window are large as well, again giving the driver good visibility on the right side, especially important for a right-hand-drive vehicle in the US. More capacity to handle the increased volumes of e-business.

Most of the delivery trucks that show up at my house are foreign-made... Nissans, Mercedes, etc. According to another news story, there were just three companies left in the competition. A Turkish company partnered with an American one, one small company partnered with another small one, and Oshkosh. Given Oshkosh's history of supplying vehicles to the US military, it had a better shot at winning.

Interesting article from about eighteen months ago:

https://www.trucks.com/2019/10/21/po...l-trucks-burn/

Ron Wanttaja

I would hate to be the one cleaning the windshield !
    Bob

Thanks for the chuckle - I take it the NY Post doesn't hire any copy editors with English language skills?

"The new design consists of a waste-high front hood" - I reckon it all depends on how high that waste is? - LOL
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Well I guess new but ugly beats the tired old pieces of junk that rattle around the the Atlanta area. I’m thinking one might get a bit warm in the cab with the sun beating thru all that glass.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Well I guess new but ugly beats the tired old pieces of junk that rattle around the the Atlanta area. I’mTHI thinking one might get a bit warm in the cab with the sun beating thru all that glass.
    The NEW model will have A/C...

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Thanks for the chuckle - I take it the NY Post doesn't hire any copy editors with English language skills?

"The new design consists of a waste-high front hood" - I reckon it all depends on how high that waste is? - LOL

Nice catch, but, I've given up all hope in the media policing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I've had N95's on in public since I got home from Australia last March. It was pretty clear once you got around the political bull that the virus was transmitted by aerosolized droplets and the N95 was going to be pretty effective against that. I was fortunate that I'm sensitive to wood dust so I happened to have a couple of boxes of masks in my workshop. Margy had also bought some because we feared Australia would still be on fire when we go there (turned out it poured down rain while we were en route pretty much cleaning that up).

Even notwithstanding the mortality, my sense of smell is pretty darned important to me (I'm a wine judge and have a substantial amount invested in that), so I'm not risking things.
    I guess this one is not risking anything either coming in from the South Pacific and the Far East!

does anyone know if the EAA chapter will have their consignment tent in the flymart this year?
    have two years worth of stuff to put in there this year