Thread: Touch down, touch and go, touch screen

Touch down, touch and go, touch screen

I have a Windows 7 computer right behind me here that is worthless on hot days. When I bought it I sacrificed screen real estate and potential resolution in order to get a touch screen. My first computer had a keyboard that eventually went bad and even the mouse could not tame it from simply auto-repeating one key endlessly. I purchased one of those wave shape keyboards Microsoft sold for my next computer but I had to use tape to update it for Windows 95. So for the sturdier NT4 computer I bought in 2000 I insisted on a better keyboard and they suggested a server keyboard that arrived with a heavy and sturdy frame. My sister bought an identical computer mine the year we got Windows 7 machines. She eventually got tired of the cursor going over into the corner after hiding and had the support tell her how to disable that feature. I left mine enabled and can tell you it is definitely something temperature sensitive and I decided the screen was warping and the corner stress was what was causing the noxious behavior. This computer is 5 years old and I specifically avoided any thing touch screen. It has a touch pad, however. My phone has a touch interface. I do not see the touch screen in aircraft interfaces, but rather see buttons and knobs and sliders. I specifically made a digital model of a 737 MAX to examine this in position, function and reach. I did not make this to be for a simulator as that is specifically where the touch would be artificial. What is the current resistance to this type of interface? Definitely not click.

Garmin has several products with a touchscreen.

Perhaps I need a few more hours with them, but I have found operating them in the C172 I fly to be a bit difficult in turbulence, i.e. lots of wrong "button" pushes, etc.

Some of the bad "pushes" are "fat finger' or parallax problems. Touch screens when I first met them were capacitive or resistive. They were not contact between layers. I have a Garmin watch which has GPS but no touch screen, only buttons and a display with menus. Two watches ago I had touch screen. I do have a heart rate monitor feature that does not depend on a chest strap. The one with a chest strap only worked for about 1 year before I had to scape the gripper after every use. That now is a long time ago. The technology this watch uses I believe is IR or optical based on membership in the Society of Photo-optical and Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE). The CRT displays once referred to as "glass" and even some of the HUDs seem to have faded away. I saw these in 1969 in the McDonnell Engineering Laboratory Fighter Simulator Spheres where one of the cockpits had dials only and the other had CRT's. The CRT display I worked with had a light pen. Later I had a Personal ?? with a plastic stylus and Graffiti character reading language. Beside me here also is a INTUOS tablet that uses felt and hard tip pens.

The Garmin G3X Touch uses infrared technology on this product. You can wear gloves while operating this device.

I like to use keyboard more than touches... because I can type with 100% accuracy and with good speed.
    Touch has one big issue is, if any part of the screen disturbed, you have to replace the screen completely.....

And, if the screen breaks, you can't control anything that requires the screen.

We have some old avionics hardware at work which we use for compatibility testing, and one of the two twenty-year-old touchscreens is now dead. Fortunately they can both display the same data and options, but when the second one goes I've no idea where we'll get a replacement.