Thread: Bendix King KCS 55A HSI PROBLEM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Bendix King KCS 55A HSI PROBLEM

Hi everyone!

Maybe I can get some help here.

On my Lancair 360 I have a Bendix King KCS 55A HSI and I'm having some problems whith it. Yes, I know... Who this days still use this old technology so prone to fail? Right now I cannot spend too much money on the panel, and I don't fly IFR, so I'm trying to solve this with no rush.

As you can see on the video I post here, the HDG flag is out and the compass card is dead. And if I rotate the HDG bug, all the card rotates with it. If I try to unslave and rotate freely, also nothing happens.

On the KG 102A remote unit, I can hear the gyro spinning. I know this unit needs an overhaul after several years, but normaly, for what I read, the symptons for a repair are errors on the compass card or lag reaching the heading. On this case, the "gyro" / heading doesn't work at all.

Do you have thoughts on this?

Thank you all in advance

David

<span style="color:#000000;"><span style="font-family: &quot;Lucida Grande&quot;, &quot;Trebuchet MS&quot;, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);">

Send it to aircraft quality instrument repair. I've used this instrument shop several times over the years with fast turn around at fair prices.

http://flyaqi.com/home.htm

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your answer . Will get in touch with them.

David

And don't apologize about using steam gauges! Like most things, they wear and need servicing from time to time.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Bob Bramble at Aerolab aviation is another good resource. Reasonable and his work is excellent. Lee

https://www.aerolabaviation.com/AEROLAB%20AVIATION%20CONTACT%20US.html

I may have missed it, but have you tried putting it in free gyro mode (i.e., turn off the slaving). My KCS-55 periodically goes wonky and fails to bootup the magnetic heading. The heading flag stays flagged and the like.

The cost to repair and overhaul this unit in my opinion is not worth the effort. Invest in a Garmin GI275 with ADHARS. You will be much happier in the long run. https://www.kitplanes.com/product-re...n-gi-275-efis/