Thread: ADS B for AirVenture

ADS B for AirVenture

I know Wittman Regional Airport is class D airspace and technically I don't need a transponder to enter their airspace. My recently purchased 1966 Cessna has a transponder but not an ADS B out, at least not yet. My plan is to fly this bugger to A/V next year, so riddle me this. Having never flown into A/V, do the rules change during the event? I know I will need to study the NOTAM and that should give me all the info I need, but how far in advance will the NOTAM be avalable? I may be a little premature but why wait until the last minute!
    Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

The procedures do change and drastically, but not so much as to require ADSB. At least as of 2019.

The NOTAM usually comes out a couple months before the event. Last year’s version is still available on the EAA website if you want to start studying now. There are also plenty of videos out there on YouTube that show the process.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-f...-oshkosh-notam
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Thanks Jeff, I have watched some arrival videos on Youtube, some are pretty hairy, that's why I want to get all my ducks in a row well ahead of time. I'm sure we'll have the ADS B out before A/V, we do have a Stratux ADS B Receiver in the plane now, it's pretty awsome.
    Thanks,
    Bob

I fly 2 to 4 hours a day during EAA Oshkosh. As good a tool as ADS-B is, in an environment of close proximity traffic such as the Oshkosh arrival and pattern, I think you’ll find your Primary source for the best traffic information is to Look Out The Window. You’ll be glad you did. Happy Landings!

Quote Originally Posted by avee8r View Post
    I fly 2 to 4 hours a day during EAA Oshkosh. As good a tool as ADS-B is, in an environment of close proximity traffic such as the Oshkosh arrival and pattern, I think you’ll find your Primary source for the best traffic information is to Look Out The Window. You’ll be glad you did. Happy Landings!
    Oh yes, head on a swivel! I won't be flying during A/V, the in and out will be more than I've ever experienced ! My instructor buddy will be my 2nd and 3rd eyes !
    Bob