Thread: Relocating an EAB During Phase 1

Relocating an EAB During Phase 1

What are the rules of engagement if it necessary to move an EAB aircraft outside of its designated operating area prior to the completion of Phase 1?
    Is it as simple as applying for special ferry permit?
    Do the circumstances such as evacuating due to a natural disaster vs say a sale or job transfer influence the ROEs?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Contact the FSDO. Getting new operating limitations specifying a new test area is straightforward, no problem if you can trailer it there. I've done that for purchased homebuilts that I wanted to put back into phase 1 for major changes. Flying it there, I dunno... either way, the FSDO will know.

The local FSDO or a DAR can amend your operating limitations. If the new location is within a couple hundred miles, you may be able to negotiate a one time flight to the new area depending on what point in Phase I you are.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    What are the rules of engagement if it necessary to move an EAB aircraft outside of its designated operating area prior to the completion of Phase 1?
    Is it as simple as applying for special ferry permit?
    I tried for a ferry permit before Phase 1 was completed, and was told “We don’t [or it could have been can’t] do that.

It makes sense not to allow it in most cases. An amended test area could make sense, if part of the new area overlapped the original area, thus not requiring a ferry permit.

BJC

I asked my local FSDO about it a couple of years ago, when I was considering an RV that was still in phase one. They responded within a few days, saying that they would issue a ferry permit as long as the plane had a few hours on it to be sure there were no major issues. I never had a chance to put it to the test; the builder sold it to another person before I got the OK.

As most of us know, this kind of stuff is unfortunately highly dependent on *your* FSDO, unless you can show them chapter & verse in the regs. With some, even then....

Charlie