Thread: Individual Young Eagle Flights - Yes/No/Maybe ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Individual Young Eagle Flights - Yes/No/Maybe ?

Is anyone back to flying individual (vs rally) Young Eagle Flights? If so, what criteria are you using for a go/no-go decision?

I regularly fly individual YE flights which I've put on hold for the past few months. Candidly, I can't think of a nicer distraction for a kid right now (and their parents) ... but is it too early to get into the cockpit with someone's child who you do not know? Last weekend I tried a compromise: after exchanging a few emails I offered to meet them at the field. With masks and proper distancing, we spent an hour walking around the airplanes, talked about flying and aviation, went through a pre-flight and let the kid sit in the plane. Pretty much everything short of taking a flight. This was a really motivated 12 year old who not only pointed out the Pitot tube on the 172E, but then explained to his Dad how it drove the airspeed indicator. Yikes!

I was really tempted to take him flying, not jut for the experience but so I could hand him a logbook with access to all the great YE "stuff" (including access to the Sporty videos). Instead I assured him we'd get airborne as soon as it made sense. Thoughts?
    Last edited by RickG; 09-12-2020 at 06:24 AM.