Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fike Model E N1408Z

Fike Model E N1408Z

Hi,

I'm new here, so apologies if i've kicked this thread off in the wrong place. I'm wondering if anyone could help out with photos of the original Fike E N1408Z, preferably in it's 1971 cowled form?

I have the '71 Sport Aviation containing an article on the aircraft, but good photos seem scarce.

Many thanks

Graham
    EAA Member #1077183
    Last edited by Graham Banham; 12-14-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Banned
    Graham,

Obscure but challenging. If you go to google and click on images, and type in "fike aircraft" you'll find some pictures although I have no idea if they are the model you're looking for. William J. Fike was the designer/builder. In the 70's he wrote a book,"Practical Lightplane Design & Construction", perhaps pictures are in it. The book may still be available through EAA merchandise or Amazon. Mr. Fike, if still with us, lives in either Anchorage or Salt Lake City according to some research. Try 411.com to contact. Good Luck!

Fike book and drawings and photos

I know that at least one was built. Short wings as I recall.

Another design, the Fike "D" model was built in Ontario and I have Fike's book.

I seem to recall something about an E model being built in Europe. Long time ago!!!

Thanks Guys,

I think the Fike book is still available through the EAA, but i'm not sure that it has any photos?

The Fike E was built primarily as an exercise in very low A/R; in this case 3.

I'm aware of a second much modified model E being built by Rudi Marczi in Canada in the mid-70's (C-GRSM)

It is a relatively obscure aircraft; i guess i'm looking at it from my background as a flying scale modeller where it's widely known as a 'safe' subject due having a large wing area in a compact airframe, and for being one of those rare designs that are stable as a free-flight model without dihedral.

However, despite it's popularity, photos of the original seem difficult to find.

Graham

Found a photo at Plane&Pilot's web site. Check this link: http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...e-model-e.html

Cowled FIKE photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

not sure if this is a variant but I found this in my FIKE folder...looks like a European registration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The last photo is interesting. The "E" did not -there are always exceptions with homebuilts - have wing struts and this one does. It might be a "D" rather than an "E".
    The "D" model built in Ontario by a friend of mine (George Burgess) looked much like a J-3 or PA-11 Cub and climbed extremely well.

As far as I can tell the sole Canadian "E" which was built by one of two brothers (Rudy and Joe) with whom I returned from Rockford one year, is apparently still extant and in license.

Graham,

Never did I think I would ever hear or read anyone asking questions about the Fike Model E. I corresponded with Bill Fike in 1976. I bought his Practical Lightplane Design and Construction. He also wrote about his new design, the "E." What is it you want to know?

Victor

Thanks everyone for your help.

Victor, what i'm looking for is photos of N1408Z specifically.

I have those originally published in March '71 Sport Aviation, which contained Bill Fike's article on the aircraft's first flights in March 1970.

However, i wonder if there are any more out there, ideally of the modified aircraft in 1971 which added a PA-18 cowl front and custom cheeks over the C-85 cylinders.

Regards

Graham