Thread: gyrocopter flight training

gyrocopter flight training

I posted this in another forum. I was directed to this forum.
    http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...light-training

is this the right forum to find out about gyrocopter training?

I'm interested in flying a gyrocopter. I live in the New Orleans area, Louisiana.

Is there a list of trainers who are willing to train deaf individuals? as it is I'm deaf and I do wear hearing aid.

I've emailed the one in Houma, LA, didn't get a response.

I emailed a guy in Hammond. got a response. he wasn't interested. claimed that I need to be able to hear the engine, etc...

any suggestions?

Several points that call for comment here:

1. Insofar as the forum is concerned, this one should provide you with answers as well as any other. However, you might want to try the Popular Rotorcraft organization, but you might not want to get your hopes up. I was a member for a year, but it was impossible to get into their members site and I never did get any answers. Good luck.

2. I can’t help you insofar as your location in LA. I’m in the Washington, DC area, and there are a couple gyro instructors within a couple of hours of my home. Again, good luck.

3. Your hearing may or may not be a problem - it depends. I’ve worked with a couple of completely deaf students in the distant past, and while it’s difficult, it can be done. It appears that the instructors you’ve tried to contact or work with, don’t want to take the trouble. As for the “it depends,” well, what type of gyro are you interested in? Most are certificated in the light sport category, which only requires a driver’s license to confirm physical ability. If you have a driver’s license, you qualify physically. You also note that you use a hearing aid. I gather that you have some limited hearing ability, if you’re using a hearing aid. That should be sufficient. If you want some inspiration, look up a book titled “Flight of the Gin Fizz,” by Henry Kisor. Kisor is/was totally deaf as i recall (it’s been a few years since i read the book), and he flew a standard category airplane all over the place. The only restriction was that he could not fly into a controlled airport, or use air traffic control. Well, duh. But that leaves a lot of airspace for you. You will no doubt have a similar restriction placed upon your pilot certificate when you pass your check ride. Go for it!

Post #2 is not complete as far as the medical goes. The Basic Med approval requires that you have held a valid third class FAA medical or higher within the last 10 years.

I am a Sport Pilot CFI gyroplane and Subpart H CFI working between WA and AZ but can travel for training if you have equipment available. I am on the Gleim and EAA instructor lists. Text 425 495 7946.

Good luck with the Co19 down there.

Just a point of interest, but recently I read somewhere that ultimately all ATC will have digital texting capability. I wonder if normal hearing will then still be a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYDAN View Post
    Just a point of interest, but recently I read somewhere that ultimately all ATC will have digital texting capability. I wonder if normal hearing will then still be a factor?
    how long with that be?

theres a couple of places thats near my location.

1 is in texas. forget the name of the town, its near houston.

the other one is in florida pensacola. this one was refereed to as being located "mississippi' for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by firestorm31 View Post
    theres a couple of places thats near my location.

1 is in texas. forget the name of the town, its near houston.

the other one is in florida pensacola. this one was refereed to as being located "mississippi' for some reason.
    I replied to your PM sir.

I think with poor hearing you shouldn't risk going up into the sky, because noise can make things worse.