Thread: STC's

STC's

After a Google and Youtube search, I still don't have a clue where to look to find out if my airplane has an STC for auto fuel. I'm looking through the engine log but I can't read most of what is written. Some entries are printed by hand, some in cursive, or as some would say, long hand, and some in chicken scratch and some have been stamped, faded and illegible. I should have asked the mechanic while it was in for the annual but I didn't think about it.
    Bob

IIRC, part of the STC is the application of a decal to the fuel fill location stating that unleaded auto fuel can be used. If you don't have the decal, the STC has not been executed.

(Adventures in autocorrect: my pad changed "decal" to "fecal".)

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 09-04-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Most STC's involve writing up an FAA Form 337 and sending a copy to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch for inclusion in the file for that aircraft. For something like $5 you can request a copy of all of the records for an aircraft back to the day it was manufactured. If you do not have that info its very worthwhile to get it. I even found out that a 337 that I had in my own airplane's records had not been mailed in to the FAA. Easy to fix and an example of why it is good to check.

The answer that you seek may be sitting in OKC.

Best of luck,

Wes

Ok Ron, the filler caps don't have auto fuel on them so I'll do what Wes suggested and ask for the records from the FAA. Thanks for the info guys.
    Bob

If all else fails; the auto fuel STC is still available thru EAA at $1.50/hp. Filler stickers are $5 each but you must purchased the STC from EAA.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

There are only two sources of autofuel STC in practice, the EAA (https://www.eaa.org/eaa/pilots/EAA-S.../auto-fuel-stc) and Petersen (autofuelstc.com). Either way the FAA requires the proper PLACARDS to be installed as part of the STC. If you don't have this, you don't have a legal STC installation. As pointed out, a 337 should be in your aircraft records as well. As a last resort, you can contact the two organizations to see if they do have your N-number registered.

Thanks for the info guys, I will look into this.
    Bob