Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landing Gear Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Looking at the manual, it appears these are in miles per hour. Wonder when the Air Force switched to knots?

Ron Wanttaja

True Ron... P51 manual IAS are in miles per hour... however when I logged time in the Collins Foundation P51 Betty Jane IAS was switched to knots...

Last edited by BusyLittleShop; 09-04-2020 at 04:31 PM.

On my last joy ride with an instructor in his C-150 he announced out loud on downwind: "landing hard surface, gear down and locked." I didn't say anything but liked the lesson. Never know when you might be in an amphibian someday.

Flying various aircraft models in FS2020 using the AI brings one to the landing phase where a voice calls out "landing gear!" Taking off it had no problem raising the gear or the flaps. I myself take the Controls out of AI mode for a second, hit CTRL + G, and reenter AI mode again. I have no idea if it "learns" from this. Not doing it results in "landing gear damage."

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Looking at the manual, it appears these are in miles per hour. Wonder when the Air Force switched to knots?

Ron Wanttaja
    I have been trying to pin this down. I know that the specifications (in 1952) for what would become the T-37 specified knots. Piston aircraft like the L-19 continued in mph, as did the Skyraider. Might I guess that the transition began with the establishment of the USAF, first with jets and then with piston aircraft? (The O-2 used knots while the civilian 337 used mph.) Or maybe just all airacraft designed after the USAF was established (early jets, thru the F-86, designed under the USAAF.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I have never understood why the gear lights are not at the top of the panel insted of on top of your knees .

For the same reason pilots belly in with the gear warning horn blaring.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I asked a dumb question at the 2009 "Tailhook" as I moved from the backseat to the front. Are these airspeed numbers in Calibrated Airspeed or Equivalent Airspeed knowing that the F-4 being a supersonic aircraft used CAS and the commercial aircraft like the DC-9 used EAS? I think they are true airspeed answered the baffled McDonnell-Douglas marketing type watching over the F-18 simulator they had brought. I was sure it was not that but continued as we were up high where the carrier looked like a rowboat near Morro Rock.

Your comments about airspeed limits in mph caused me to get out my T.O.1B-36D(II)-I Convair B-36 Peacemaker Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions. On page 284 is Figure 5-1 (Sheet 1) In the .Flight Instruments Box, F-1A Airspeed Indicator *160 Maximum Flaps Down ( Landing Gear 188) the picture beside on the port side shows M.P.H. F-1 and the * is for propeller limitations due to vibrations. Then in the box below F-4 or F-5 Air Speed Indicator *160 Maximum Speed Flaps Down (Landing Gear 188 ) and The instrument setting is such that the red pointer will move to indicate the limiting structural airspeed at 286 MPH or the airspeed representing the limiting Mach No. of .66, whichever is less. I always learn something, sometimes before and sometimes after my comment. This manual is 8 April 1955 Revised 18 April 1956.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 09-06-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add the date of issue

The B-36 was one of the planes I looked at. It backed up my hypothesis. The B-36 design specifications were published by the USAAC (1941) and initial deliveries were to the USAAF (1946).
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja
    I have been trying to pin this down. I know that the specifications (in 1952) for what would become the T-37 specified knots. Piston aircraft like the L-19 continued in mph, as did the Skyraider. Might I guess that the transition began with the establishment of the USAF, first with jets and then with piston aircraft? (The O-2 used knots while the civilian 337 used mph.) Or maybe just all airacraft designed after the USAF was established (early jets, thru the F-86, designed under the USAAF.)
    Just encountered a clue in a discussion in another forum. From "FAA Historical Chronology, 1926-1996:

Jul 1, 1952: All CAA facilities and services were scheduled to begin using knots and nautical miles on this date, establishing a single military-civilian standard measurement for speed and distance used in air navigation. The change had been announced in the CAA Journal on Aug 15, 1950.

https://www.faa.gov/about/history/ch...ia/b-chron.pdf

Obviously, the CAA would have been in discussions with the military prior to the original announcement in 1950.

Early jets seem to go with knots. Here's a shot of an F-86 instrument panel...airspeed indicator in knots. Found pictures with similar indicators on F-80s and F-84s.

Name:  f-86 instrument panel.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  99.9 KB

Now...when did the US Navy start using knots for their aircraft? I've found an SNJ panel with airspeed in MPH, another with it in knots. Obviously, subsequent owners may have used alternate instruments for the ones pictured.

Ron Wanttaja