Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Landing Gear Lessons

I personally think it relates to the other speed meter you see in the F-86, the Mach meter. First of all it is dimensionless like Buckingham's pi. You may have seen in my previous post about the B-36 there were two different airspeed gauges where one had a red pointer and the other had the Mach limit in a window. One of the books I recently bought and read said that the B-36 could fly higher than the B-47 before the B-57 and U-2. I just got the symposium reports the book was based on and today I am to receive "Accidental Engineer" on the development of the Central Air Data Computer (CADC). The pitot static system is a direct comparison of dynamic and static pressure that has been with us a long time but needs conversion to any kind of speed.

My pilot's manual had no performance appendix or even a SAC chart but this site says the B-36K service ceiling was 54,150 feet http://tbo.wikidot.com/b-36 The SAC charts in the back of my newly arrived symposium report give B-47s at 46,000 although this is found in the B-36 specs as the combat ceiling for ferry. Early Cold War Flights Symposium Proceedings Volume II: Appendixes Office of the Historian National Reconnaissance Office 2003
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 09-13-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Navy probably was more inclined to use NAUTICAL units.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Navy probably was more inclined to use NAUTICAL units.
    Agreed...which is why I was curious when I saw the SNJ panel with MPH.

This Wildcat gauge looks like it says "Air Speed Knots" under the indicator.
    Name:  wildcat panel.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  93.6 KB

Also found an N3N panel with what looks like "Knots" as well.

Could be the SNJ was originally a T-6, or a subsequent civilian owner switched.

Ron Wanttaja

"I've always thought dummy gear switches should be installed in all GA trainers."

Strongly agree. Maybe even a little speed brake on the belly to simulate the sound and drag of retractable gear? I fantasize about letting a student go all the way to the chocks then just before shutdown ask "what's that red light mean?" before getting a free beer at the debrief.