Thread: Insurance for kid learning to fly...

Insurance for kid learning to fly...

Hi all,
    I've got a kid who's learning to fly and doing quite well. But since he also drives and we pay for his car insurance, what do other parents do for plane rental insurance? Especially in terms of protecting family assets from liability? I've read the AOPA site and found this discussion https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...nter-insurance which makes it seem like a really good idea. In the worse case, if the kid prangs the plane and hurts someone, I'd hate to lose my house!

Any suggestions on what to do?

John

You absolutely should have renters insurance. Your son shouldn't have taken his first lesson without it. I've never rented from any FBO or flight school whose insurance protected their customers. You're right to be concerned, especially once your son is flying solo and there's no instructor on board to bear liability for an accident.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    You absolutely should have renters insurance. Your son shouldn't have taken his first lesson without it. I've never rented from any FBO or flight school whose insurance protected their customers. You're right to be concerned, especially once your son is flying solo and there's no instructor on board to bear liability for an accident.
    Does anyone have any good places to go for insurance in the North East? Or recommendations of places to stay away from?

I always went with Avemco. Rates were reasonable.

I've used Avemco in the past as well, and I believe I've used the AOPA insurance agency. Had no problems with either.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I have never had a claim, so I can't speak from that side of things, but I have used AOPA Insurance for three different airplanes I have owned. I always felt I got good value and excellent service from them.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I've had Traverse for several years now on the the 150 and the 172. Never had a problem adding a student to the 150. I think it added $95.00 to the premium.

EAA Staff / Moderator
    In addition to some of the recommendations already made, EAA Insurance Solutions is an EAA member benefit that could be helpful: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/pilots/eaa-insurance-solutions