Thread: Finally got my Passenger Endorsement!

Finally got my Passenger Endorsement!

Since getting my pilot certificate I've been keen to get the wife to go up in the air with me.

She has been somewhat hesitant, to say the least. If it doesn't come with beverage service it's just not that interesting an airplane to her. I figured out a way to get her up with me, though - I needed her to help me with my pilot credentials.

Well, finally she broke down and submitted to a short hour's flight in the Champ, which she eventually admitted she really enjoyed - even though it started gusting and we got thrown around a bit towards the end.

So we're settling up the bill for the rent on the bird and she gently asks if there isn't some sort of stamp or something I need to put in my logbook.

Jim, my CFI and owner of the Champ, looked a bit perplexed.

"You know," she reminded, "the passenger endorsement he had to get."
    "Uh..."
    "He said he needed to have in his logbook the endorsement of the first passenger."

....Blank stares...

"Give it here," says Jim, with a suddenly knowing look, and scrawls "PASSENGER ENDORSED" in the notes for the hour in my log book.

On the way home she did the fake "fussing" at me for making up such a whopper, but had to laugh at the same time.

"I can see why you really like it," she said, "maybe you could take me again when it's not so bumpy."

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Well done Frank! Now try the Cross Country Passenger Endorsement.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Great story

So when is she going to start with her lessons????

She's put it firmly in the "my thing" category; I doubt she'd ever become a pilot.

We long ago respected certain hobbies or activities as being in each other's bailiwick and to be intruded on only rarely. We like and love one another but can't be in the other's pocket all of the time.

She said she feels a lot better about me flying, though, as I apparently sounded and flew "in a confident manner." I guess I come off as a better pilot than I am.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.