Thread: O-200 Oil Cooling

O-200 Oil Cooling

We have a Zenith CH 750 Cruzer with an O-200 and have been having many temperature problems. We're getting close to getting CHTs under control but our oil temperature is still in the 210-220°F on medium-warm days. Looking at various O-200 powered aircraft some have blast tubes blowing air onto the oil screen area. We have a remote oil *filter* installed and I haven't found an O-200 with an oil filter with the blast tube. I was thinking of installing a blast tube that would send air to the oil filter. Or perhaps direct cooling air to the tank sump.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thank you
    Last edited by ahramin; 08-12-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Make sure you actually have air moving through the oil cooler. You need more exhaust surface area than intake in order to create the low pressure that will evacuate air through the cooler. If you are also challenged by high CHTs your cowl may not be evacuating properly due to improper ratio of intake to exhaust area.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Well now that I've reread that post it makes no sense. We have no oil cooler, it should gave said remote oil filter.
    Last edited by ahramin; 08-12-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Ok, that does make more sense.

The O-200 installation in the C-150 has a "tray" that directs airflow across the bottom of the engine case and extracts heat from the oil. Most likely your installation doesn't have that tray. I ran into this situation when I install a C-150 O-200 in my Fokker biplane and had excessive oil temps. The solution was the addition of an oil cooler and that solved the temp problem even n very hot days.

My cooler is plumbed into ports that are most likely used by your oil filter adapter. But if your filter adapter is indeed "remote" then you could insert a cooler into the filter hose loop. The O-200 needs oil cooling of some sort in a closed cowl. Here is the adapter I made for adding the cooler to my O-200:

Name:  engine-61.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  70.9 KB

And the cooler on the firewall:

Name:  engine-62.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  72.2 KB
    Sam Buchanan

Ya know, you could try a little deal that Piper used to install their Tomahawk trainers. It was a heat sink finned can that slid over the oil filter and had an air blast hose nipple on it to connect a cool air supply hose. It kept Piper from having to use an oil cooler on the Lyc. O-235. Now if you just find one.

Our oil filter adapter does not lend itself to adding oil cooler lines but your suggestion led me here Eric, thank you.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...clickkey=50537

Quote Originally Posted by ahramin View Post
    Our oil filter adapter does not lend itself to adding oil cooler lines but your suggestion led me here Eric, thank you.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...clickkey=50537
    Be sure you read the reviews.
    Sam Buchanan

I think we'll start by directing cooling air to the filter itself. If that isn't enough then we'll add the fins.