Thread: How to properly place the CG in Flow Simulation for moment calculations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cory, you were close, but no cigar

Everything worked until you stated "Recalculate." That didn't work.

You can see the CG (Black and White 'BMW' Circle), the 'Local Coordinate System' (GREEN), and 'Coordinate System 1' (BLUE) in the first image. Coordinate System 1 is where I want the CG. I created the location, and added the axis, for Coordinate System 1.

The second image shows the 'Mass Properties' menu. Note the 'Override Mass Properties.' That is the 'button' that needs to be selected, not the Recalculate. Also note that the 'Report coordinate values relative to:' has my Coordinate System 1 selected. Very important. You select that from the tree (see 'Coordinate System 1 in the tree, top image. It is highlighted). Also note the CG/Coordinate System 1 is rotated counterclockwise, it seems. That is because the 'CG' has gravity acting through it. The image 2 (and the other images) are calculated at an AoA of 13 Degrees (see the very top of the image 2 and you will find the file name for this calculation. Note the 13 AoA in the file name) . The X axis of the CG (PINK Coordinate system, which is also the CG and Coordinate System 1) is rotated 13 Degrees counter clockwise.

Now see image 3. It shows the CG has moved to the location of the origin of Coordinate System 1. Also note back in image 2, that I keyed in the new (required) coordinates (X, Y, Z) for the location of the CG. X=-5, Y=0, and Z=-100. That is quite a different from the original CG location, as you can see comparing image 3 to image 1.

Now, Torque is not the same as moment. Moment is a static term. Torque is a dynamic term. I am looking for MOMENT, not torque, UNLESS SolidWorks uses the two term interchangeably, which they should not. Does the Flow Simulation calculate TORQUE (Moment??) about the CG? I assume so. But, not sure. And, in this case, is TORQUE the same as moment?

Finally, see image 4. One has the option of selecting which coordinate system is desired for the analysis. I, again, assume this establishes which set of coordinate systems TORQUE (Moment??) uses for its calculation. Since I moved the CG to Coordinate System 1, this should work.

OK, I am not a CFD expert. I did not play one on TV. And, I did not stay in a 'Holiday Express' last night, or anytime recently. So, like many of y'all, I am just beginning the 'adventure' of learning Flow Simulation. I truly appreciate Cory's help!

If I have misstated anything above, or I am just plain wrong, PLEASE CORRECT ME! I have pretty thick skin, for a GEEZER.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Attached Images Attached Images