Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage ???

Now that sounds like a fun time.

There's an area up in the first few rows of Vintage (just south of the green-roofed communications building) that's reserved for special exhibits, past grand champions, and a few planes that looked so interesting or exemplary that they merit being parked up front. It's unofficially called "Don's Choice" after long time vintage volunteer Don Straughan (hope I'm spelling that right). I remember pulling in the only flying (out of five built) Anderson-Greenwoods, for example. Usually, by Tuesday, we give up waiting for any more for those few rows and will park anything halfway decent in there. I was working the line that day and the call came in to fill up Don's Choice. I was down to my last spot and the people in charge said "Put anything in that last space." This really ugly 172 came down the line with peeling green paint. I was about to step out and waive him in and the call came in, "But not that one."

Just about anywhere else, we don't care what the plane looks like. If it was manufacturered in 1970 or earlier, it's a "showplane" and park it. If you are a Vintage member, you will get a plaque with a picture of your plane and a souvenir glass mug.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There's an area up in the first few rows of Vintage (just south of the green-roofed communications building) that's reserved for special exhibits, past grand champions, and a few planes that looked so interesting or exemplary that they merit being parked up front. It's unofficially called "Don's Choice" after long time vintage volunteer Don Straughan (hope I'm spelling that right). I remember pulling in the only flying (out of five built) Anderson-Greenwoods, for example. Usually, by Tuesday, we give up waiting for any more for those few rows and will park anything halfway decent in there. I was working the line that day and the call came in to fill up Don's Choice. I was down to my last spot and the people in charge said "Put anything in that last space." This really ugly 172 came down the line with peeling green paint. I was about to step out and waive him in and the call came in, "But not that one."

Just about anywhere else, we don't care what the plane looks like. If it was manufacturered in 1970 or earlier, it's a "showplane" and park it. If you are a Vintage member, you will get a plaque with a picture of your plane and a souvenir glass mug.
    Well our plane isn't that bad, it is however a 1966 and not a 1965. We bought it knowing it was due for an annual so we hope to get that going real soon, I'm ready to put some hours on that little bug.
    Bob

My Favorite plane at Airventure!

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Just a random thought, if someone showed up in Vintage with a 1965 Cessna 150, not restored, just normal wear and tear, how would they be looked upon. Not that I, or someone is going to,,,, probably,,,, or maybe,,,, but flying is flying !
    Bob
    . Here’s the plane!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like it, I'm more into functionality than looks, of course looks don't hurt. In 2018 I took my vintage camper to A/V and sold it the next year because it had served it's purpose and I didn't want to have to make a lot of repairs that were going to be inevitable. The Apache group really fixes up these campers and they look fantastic, but like I said, I'm into functionality !
    Bob