Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Data Plate

Missing Data Plate

I came across a fairly good deal on a Cessna 152 a couple of weeks ago but there was a catch. It had a high time engine, (a friend went to check it out so I don't really know how many hours were on the engine) and the data plate was missing. My friend said the guy really didn't have an answer why it was missing, he and another person have owned the plane for maybe 15 years and they have 4 or 5 other planes also. In a case like that, is it possible to get another data plate or is this a REALLY bad deal? I have already walked away from deal but I can't help but wonder, is this just a small matter, or a BIG matter. Can't wait to see what y'all have to say !
    Thanks,
    Bob

It's a big matter as your airplane is NOT airworthy without it.

Read this article. It pretty well covers it: https://www.cessnaflyer.org/maintena...lap-skins.html

Short answer, it will cost you $$$ to get Cessna to send you another that you can install to make your plane legal.

Robert, I would have to ask the question, How have they been getting the annual signed off after all the years they have owned it if the Cessna data plate was missing ?

Bill L

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I came across a fairly good deal on a Cessna 152 a couple of weeks ago but there was a catch. In a case like that, is it possible to get another data plate
    If the airframe data plate is missing, yes, it is possible to obtain a replacement from Cessna. About 20 yrs ago the cost of the new data plate for a SE aicraft was ~$375. The process to actually get it could be easy, difficult or impossible depending on the circumstances.
    Believe it or not, data plates do fall off, become damaged or illegible while the aircraft is in service and this does not mean the operator has to make an immediate forced landing because the aircraft is no longer airworthy. A 91 operator can continue to operate his aircraft following FAA guidance, however, the data plate should be replaced, otherwise it could make for a very difficult sale or disposal down the road. I might buy it if the data plate was missing but it would have to be under the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Robert, I would have to ask the question, How have they been getting the annual signed off after all the years they have owned it if the Cessna data plate was missing ?

Bill L
    Well sky, from what my buddy tells me, he's the one that was in contact with the guy, they, the co-owners, haven't flown this airplane for quite a while, like I said, they have several and now that they are older, they don't fly much. I don't want to have to deal with the FAA anymore than I have too, getting my special issuance for my 3rd class was a year and a half process, so, unless the guy wants to drop the price considerably, I'd just as soon leave it be. The guy that has it hangared sometimes hangs our with some of us on the weekends at the airport, I haven't seen him in at least 6 months but I will ask some questions next time he's around. I would like to get the full story myself.
    Bob

Thanks to Marty and Ron for giving some input. I am looking elsewhere for a 150 but would still like to know the history of this aircraft.
    Bob

If the plane hasn't flown in years, you're likely going to have additional problems other than replacing the dataplate which just takes a ~$400 and a notarized letter plus someone to rivet it on.
    You can't fly the plane without it.

If the plane has sat, unless you're going to get it for less than what a replacement engine costs, I'd pass. Every piece of rubber is going to need to go over (tires, gascolators, hoses). You're at least going to want to take a look in the cylinders to see if they're rusted.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    If the plane hasn't flown in years, you're likely going to have additional problems other than replacing the dataplate which just takes a ~$400 and a notarized letter plus someone to rivet it on.
    You can't fly the plane without it.

If the plane has sat, unless you're going to get it for less than what a replacement engine costs, I'd pass. Every piece of rubber is going to need to go over (tires, gascolators, hoses). You're at least going to want to take a look in the cylinders to see if they're rusted.
    Yep, I would rather pay more and not have to worry about all that stuff, I prefer a, plug and play, model. I don't want to spend time trying to find out what's good and what's not. I'm ready to fly.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I came across a fairly good deal on a Cessna 152 a couple of weeks ago
    I think you spelled "lawn ornament" wrong.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I think you spelled "lawn ornament" wrong.
    It would make a cool lawn ornament, but not at the current price !
    Bob