Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seat track source

seat track source

Any source of raw Cesena style seat track? Does not need to be approved. I can only find expensive approved premade track.

Thanks,
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by LJM View Post
    Any source of raw Cesena style seat track? Does not need to be approved. I can only find expensive approved premade track.
    The closest thing I have ever seen is from a company that makes scale railroad track for model railroading. Similar (but not exact) profile, simliar (but not exact) dimensions. Not sure of the material specs, hardness, etc. I think aviation seat track is not a generic extrusion but rather a manufacturer spec'd extrusion and I think the manufacturer would be tight lipped about specifics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would something like this work. It's designed for cargo tiedowns in trailers and the like. It's "aircraft grade" for what that's worth.
    https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/H...BoCyO0QAvD_BwE

Unfortunately not for the seat, but perhaps I can for the luggage space. A very reasonable price too. I may call them and ask about the Cessna style rail..
    thanks

Have you tried the aircraft salvage yards? Wentworth etc? Used parts typically are priced at 50% of new.

Best of luck,

Wes

The usual reason Cessna seat rails have to be replaced is that rail holes that the spring loaded seat adjustment rod lock into become elongated and worn beyond the specified maximum wear leading to the possibility that the rod slips out of the hole causing the seat to slide backward on the rail resulting in pilot loss of control. Be careful buying used rails; make sure the wear around the rod holes is within specified tolerance. I bit the bullet and bought from McFarlane.
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS

When you go to a salvage yard you are not looking for worn-out seat rails. You are looking for a newer airplane that was totaled for other reasons and still has pretty new seat rails. There are a distressing number of ships out there that fit that description. But the reasons are another topic.

Best of luck,

Wes

Be aware that the rivet holes in Cessna seat rails were not drilled to an exact pattern until sometime after 1975 (the newest "old" Cessna I have worked on). I replaced the seat rails on both a 73 182 & a 75 172, we had to drill out the rivets & slice the bottom of the old rail off & grind it flat to use as a pattern to drill holes that matched the holes in the floor. Predrilled rails & undrilled rails are both available from Cessna for this reason. Replacing a few of the rivets took 3 people & at least one of them needed to have small hands.

That sounds like a lot of work, next time try this. Get a piece of sheet metal .032, .040 etc and cut out the same size as the seat rail base. Drill through the rail holes and through the sheet metal, instant template.

It wasn't that bad, metal cutting blade on a band saw using the fence shaved it off pretty close. I don't remember at this point why we decided to do it like that.