Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What version of Solidworks do we get access to?

What version of Solidworks do we get access to?

Hi everyone, I'm new here, my name is Jim. I'm a mechanical engineering technologist, and tool and die maker. I'm considering getting an EAA membership primarily for access to Solidworks for home projects. I cant seem to get a concise answer about what version of Solidworks educational is offered to EAA members. I've seen it listed as both student standard, and student premium on the same web page. Could someone who recently acquired it please let me know what version they got, so I can look up the included features?

I'm also curious what restrictions are placed on the software? Can you export in other file types, parasolid for example. What about CAM? can you create and post usable CNC programs?

thanks in advance
    Jim

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

I just upgraded my Solidworks from the EAA site.....to the most recent version...mine says 2020 educational version...I'm not near my computer..it might say 2020-2021

im new to solid works so that's about as much information as I can offer...
    Last edited by North_roll; 06-26-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by North_roll View Post
    I just upgraded my Solidworks from the EAA site.....to the most recent version...mine says 2020 educational version...I'm not near my computer..it might say 2020-2021

im new to solid works so that's about as much information as I can offer...
    thanks I appreciate that. If possible could you look under the about tab in solidworks and see if it states exactly which version it is? There look to be a few different levels of educational versions on the solidworks website.

Name:  sw.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  71.9 KB

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Name:  sw.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  71.9 KB

Ron Wanttaja
    Thanks Ron, can you tell me if it allows you to export as neutral file formats like .stp or .iges? Also, can you program and post CNC files with the CAM module?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer12 View Post
    Thanks Ron, can you tell me if it allows you to export as neutral file formats like .stp or .iges? Also, can you program and post CNC files with the CAM module?
    I found a STEP file on my computer, and it loaded it normally. Don't have any .iges files, but .iges is one of the options for the "open" function.

With that, I've reached the limit of my Solidworks abilities, so can't help with the CNC/CAM questions.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I found a STEP file on my computer, and it loaded it normally. Don't have any .iges files, but .iges is one of the options for the "open" function.

With that, I've reached the limit of my Solidworks abilities, so can't help with the CNC/CAM questions.

Ron Wanttaja
    thanks, i appreciate it.

Loading a file is not the same as exporting it. I'm a writer (author) not a reader. Make something simple then try to export it as all the types. My 2013 version won't let me export things I have imported as STL's or .obj's. I can easily export things I actually built from scratch as Solidworks .prt's and .asm's though they are not 2-D and the 2-D kind of AutoCAD files object unless I first section and create drawings. I am cautious about publishing anything that might be used in a real physical object where I have not first subjected it to rigorous stress analysis and chosen materials. Right now the only thing I have really wrung out is a 2-4-2 steam locomotive where I learned about boiler stays and balancing axle loads in tandem for non-divergent response to bumps. I would love to see a monocoque or semi-monococque structure I could open in Solidworks. W.K. Northrup is one of my heroes. ????? anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsegment View Post
    Loading a file is not the same as exporting it. I'm a writer (author) not a reader. Make something simple then try to export it as all the types. My 2013 version won't let me export things I have imported as STL's or .obj's. I can easily export things I actually built from scratch as Solidworks .prt's and .asm's though they are not 2-D and the 2-D kind of AutoCAD files object unless I first section and create drawings. I am cautious about publishing anything that might be used in a real physical object where I have not first subjected it to rigorous stress analysis and chosen materials. Right now the only thing I have really wrung out is a 2-4-2 steam locomotive where I learned about boiler stays and balancing axle loads in tandem for non-divergent response to bumps. I would love to see a monocoque or semi-monococque structure I could open in Solidworks. W.K. Northrup is one of my heroes. ????? anyone?
    yeah thats really what I'm looking for, if i can export in a neutral format to send to a machine shop for manufacturing. Not all CAM software can open native solidworks files.

As for the sample of a monocoque structure, have you tried searching grabcad to see if there is anything?

There is nothing I found on GrabCAD that is useful as instructive in the design of an airplane. As an aside, have you seen the astonishment at finding rubble in the walls of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and also the Los Angeles City Hall. They both decided it was a cheat and tried to fill it with something solid, not too many years ago. Now for us would be designers there is "Analysis of Aircraft Structures An Introduction" by Donaldson published by McGrawHill copyright 1993 With this broader view I tried "aircraft structure" as a search term. I will let you make your own decisions about looking at the files or even downloading them. My own view is none are as good in computer form as what is in the homebuilder's section here on this forum for real world activity. For instance are all of the longerons connected to every frame? Look at some of the Van's designs being built. The longerons stiffen the skins but there is not a grid frame work of the various elements. Look at some pictures of pressurized aircraft to see what is used around windows to prevent rips and cracks. And to see what was sitting on my desk in 1977 go look up the BE-10 jet made of honeycomb. I had the Stressskin manual in titanium and stainless steel diffusion bonded honeycomb. I did try looking for a FlyBaby on GrabCAD before I made these posts. I found a Mystic Baby. So I'm going to impose a new found technology limit on my looking and demand it at least recognize the man powered aircraft flown by bicycle racers and the Deanna Yeagar and Scaled Composites Brother Rutan flight around the world unrefueled with GA kind of power.
    Last edited by 2ndsegment; 06-27-2020 at 01:28 PM.