Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What version of Solidworks do we get access to?

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    I'll try to throw a little more light on what's been posted on this thread as far as exporting/importing is concerned:
    1. The "Student" editions of SW usually lag behind the commercial version by about a year, even though they may be called the same year. The EAA version is no exception.
    2. The Student versions of SW are fully functional and they can export and import CAD files to/from most other CAD systems. That includes CAM G-code for CNC machines.
    3. It is extremely important to realize that the student versions are strictly for educational purposes. You cannot use your EAA SW for any commercial purposes, and the commercial software is clever enough to know if you imported a file from the student version.
    4. That said, there are (among others) two widely used international standard protocols for transferring data to/from other CAD systems - IGES, and STEP. SW can read and write both. IGES is somewhat older than STEP and I would recommend the latter.
    5. There are two other commonly used protocols - DXF and Parasolid (file extension .x_t). Both of these are de facto standards because they are very commonly used. Most CNC shops will accept these formats, as well as IGES and STEP. I call them de facto standards because they are (unlike IGES and STEP) proprietary protocols belonging to AutoDesk and Parasolid respectively. DXF is primarily 2D (good for laser or water-jet cutting).
    6. Unless you have your own CNC machine, I would not recommend trying to export G-Code to your manufacturer. Much better to send STEP or .x_t files and let them generate their own g-code to suit their particular machines and tooling. If your shop can't use your STEP or .x_t files then it's probably not a good idea to use their services in the first place.
    7. STL format: This comes from the rapid prototyping world (read "3D Printing"). STL is extremely primitive, and as such I would not recommend it as a means of transferring geometry between CAD systems. Basically, all it does is break ALL the geometry down into a huge number of triangles - nothing else, only triangles.
    8. Hope this helps.
    Jeffrey

I just opened my copy of "Sport Aviation" and it has all the Add ins in Figure 1 of the article beginning on page 20. It says SOLIDWORKS Education Premium as the title on page 20. In my world the boss said "use it or lose it" and "what if". I went off on my own with "Do it or see it done" and "Where's yours?" Now if only we had a educator's copy of DAR's GaCAD to do performance and could merge those not in a game but in a design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    I'll try to throw a little more light on what's been posted on this thread as far as exporting/importing is concerned:
    1. The "Student" editions of SW usually lag behind the commercial version by about a year, even though they may be called the same year. The EAA version is no exception.
    2. The Student versions of SW are fully functional and they can export and import CAD files to/from most other CAD systems. That includes CAM G-code for CNC machines.
    3. It is extremely important to realize that the student versions are strictly for educational purposes. You cannot use your EAA SW for any commercial purposes, and the commercial software is clever enough to know if you imported a file from the student version.
    4. That said, there are (among others) two widely used international standard protocols for transferring data to/from other CAD systems - IGES, and STEP. SW can read and write both. IGES is somewhat older than STEP and I would recommend the latter.
    5. There are two other commonly used protocols - DXF and Parasolid (file extension .x_t). Both of these are de facto standards because they are very commonly used. Most CNC shops will accept these formats, as well as IGES and STEP. I call them de facto standards because they are (unlike IGES and STEP) proprietary protocols belonging to AutoDesk and Parasolid respectively. DXF is primarily 2D (good for laser or water-jet cutting).
    6. Unless you have your own CNC machine, I would not recommend trying to export G-Code to your manufacturer. Much better to send STEP or .x_t files and let them generate their own g-code to suit their particular machines and tooling. If your shop can't use your STEP or .x_t files then it's probably not a good idea to use their services in the first place.
    7. STL format: This comes from the rapid prototyping world (read "3D Printing"). STL is extremely primitive, and as such I would not recommend it as a means of transferring geometry between CAD systems. Basically, all it does is break ALL the geometry down into a huge number of triangles - nothing else, only triangles.
    8. Hope this helps.
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Jeffrey, I appreciate the information. I read somewhere that the student versions of SW couldn't export anything other than native SW files, which would kind of suck.

A bit about me, I started using SW with release 2000 or 2001 and have been using it steadily in a professional setting since then, ranging anywhere from sitting at a workstation 40 hours a week modeling items, to just using it to verify parts that were being machined.

In the past I've had pirated copies of SW and Mastercam on my home PCs, and never felt bad about it since it was only used for personal projects and never commercial, and several times I would speak to our SW retailer at work about some form of hobbyist license and was always told no option for that. I got tired of using pirated versions since quite often they didn't work the way they should, and I finally abandoned that a few years ago and started using Fusion 360 for personal stuff, and while it's good for a free program, it's not Solidworks! So I was quite excited when I heard about the EAA program to get a legit copy for personal use.

As for the CAM aspect, I am a Tool and Die maker and have formal programming training in both Mastercam and Powermill, and taught myself in Fusion 360, so the programming side it of I'll either do myself within solidworks, or export to an .Iges or Parasolid format and program it at work.

One more question perhaps you can answer for me. Does the copy we get access to VIA the EAA give you access to Solidworks PDM? Thats the one thing I've always wanted on my home setup, so I can manage my files and revisions much easier.

thanks again

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk