I have an opportunity to buy a partially completed Kitfox Series 5 project. I had intended to buy a Kitfox kit anyway, so this could get me started a lot sooner, potentially save some build time, and definitely save some cash. I went to look at the project today. If you're interested, my full report on that, with my Kitfox-specific questions, is here, on the TeamKitfox forum.

I've come here to ask one of my questions (the one that may ultimately make the decision for me). Quoting from my TeamKitfox post:

"Here's where it gets interesting... [The owner] lost the original Series 5 assembly manual from SkyStar in a move, but got a replacement from John at Kitfox. The only one John could provide was a Series 7 manual, but he said there are only minor differences. That doesn't worry me too much; I can always ask questions here or call Kitfox for help. Here's the rub: he took notes in the original assembly manual as he went along, intending to present that to the airworthiness inspector as his builder's log. With the manual lost, he has no log for his progress so far.

How do I handle the missing builder's log? Can I document his progress at the time of sale with thorough photographs, have him sign an affidavit stating that he completed the work up to that point, then continue the build with a log of my own? Or, will I have to disassemble the plane and start over?"

Any guidance on this (from a DAR, perhaps!) would be most appreciated.

Cheers!