Thread: looking for plans for a Loehle 5151 Mustang

looking for plans for a Loehle 5151 Mustang

I've fallen in love with the looks of the Loehle 5151 Mustang and want to work with a group of teens at the St. Louis Science Center and build a non-flying wood-built Mustang as part of a long term Tuskegee Airmen project. I cannot find plans anywhere, as the Loehle company is no longer in business. Any ideas?

As it was only available as a kit I suspect that you would not be able to build one from the plans as some parts were cut to size or dimensions were not provided. It was not uncommon in that era for kit plans to be more of an assembly manual than a set of plans to build from. After all, they were trying to sell kits not plans.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Thank you, Airmutt and BusyLittleShop. Your responses help point me in the right direction. I've found one set of plans (since posting) at http://mannaaviation.com/Mustang and am eagerly pouring over the study materials. Can't wait to look over the videos and pictures you suggest.

Hi bstanard, did you have any luck with your desire to build a wood replica of a P-51 Mustang? Just wondering as my EAA chapter has a Loehle 5151 that would make a great static display. It is almost complete but has had the fabric on the fuselage removed.