My father worked on radar during WW-II at MIT and Princeton. I mostly tried to avoid radar in my own work and fortunately the A-4 "Skyhawk" as used as an adversary and the Israeli Air Force in The Sinai and Golan Heights campaigns mostly was daylight and bright sun. I found ECM to be a way to fully work out the electronic and propagation aspects and Commercial Flight to use Bendix Weather Radar and later TI Storm Scopes. The unreliability of radar and it's inferiority in accuracy for targeting compared to computerized integrated systems and later laser guided ordnance and beyond that GPS guided ordnance allowed me to skirt the radar world. Yes, things like CAT-I, CAT-II and eventually CAT-III ILS eventually swept in in the commercial world but I left even the Military versions of DC-9's in 1968. Those radars were ground based FAA and antenna arrays aligned with active runways. Military used GCA as used in the Berlin Airlift and there was also carrier based "paddles" and auxiliary LSO. Here at EAA, with Learjets, Gulfstream moving from turboprop to fanjets and other corporate, the only project I almost got into was the Beechcraft "Starliner" because of it's carbon fiber structure. My first flight was dominated by a night leg and a thunderstorm threatened next day longer leg and that sort of set the scenario for my flights across country and into the Middle West. No scud-running or VFR local fringe to get hours in for me. Nice big anvil shaped thunderheads and the pilot using the weather radar to almost dive through spaces between clouds, that was typical flying from LAX to Dulles after Washington National became for me only a way to get to Philadelphia and Warminster up the Schuylkill. The bugaboo, I still held after my time was past? The second source attempts made on the APG-53 radar in the A-4 biscuit. Even though microwaves can be amplified by using their geometric properties in cavity oscillators and wave guides as well as on antenna shapes, conventional quality control just was not achieved even with assistance from the original designer.