Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fly in "Protest"

I get cancelling AirVenture but Wisconsin museums were open last week. We went to both the Harley Museum and the Wisconsin Maritime Museum without any issues. They had procedures in-place and they worked just fine. The EAA museum is opening next week which sucks since we'd have loved to have spent some quality time going through it last week--oh well timing is everything. Didn't get to see the Veteran's Museum because it's only open Friday thru Sunday and we were there Monday thru Thursday last week.

We were staying at the Hilton so didn't try to enter any of the EAA "grounds" but did drive by a few times on our way to Sleepy Hollow to hang with friends at their bar. Took some pics at the empty SOS Bros site but never had any interactions with EAA personnel. In any event this was a 9-day 2300nm trip for use with overnight stops to see friends in Indiana, Osh, and Iowa. We a great time regardless of the present situation.

The bottom line is we refuse to be intimidated by a virus with around a 99% recovery rate. YMMV.......
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Not opening the museum until 8/3 was a pretty thinly veiled effort to discourage people from coming to OSH last week. Especially since the rest of Oshkosh and Appleton was humming along and almost everything else had reopened in mid June.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Not opening the museum until 8/3 was a pretty thinly veiled effort to discourage people from coming to OSH last week. Especially since the rest of Oshkosh and Appleton was humming along and almost everything else had reopened in mid June.
    Agree 100% on this point. They certainly made every effort to keep people away.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    They certainly made every effort to keep people away.
    Because they were pretty sure what would happen if they gave 100,000 enthusiasts any encouragement to show up anyway. I respect them for their decision.
    Mike E
    Last edited by MEdwards; 07-29-2020 at 11:28 AM.

You can please some of the people, but sometimes the other people are like, well maybe sometimes or all the time or, maybe, it's all of the other people can be pleased............never mind !
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Because they were pretty sure what would happen if they gave 100,000 enthusiasts any encouragement to show up anyway. I respect them for their decision.
    After the cancellation, here were a lot of forum posts, both here an in other fora, stating people were going to show up anyway. You can bet a lot of those would have assumed they could park anywhere they wanted, that portapotties and showers would still be in place, etc. They would have screamed to high heaven about EAA's "disorganization."

Ron Wanttaja

I got a chuckle out of the Osh ATIS last week when we flew in. They had a comment stating that AirVenture was canceled and the grounds were closed. I was like, who didn't know it was canceled, and then I remembered all the chuckle-heads who never read the normal NOTAM or participate online like us.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I noticed that too. It was pretty sad but probably necessary.

A truth about KOSH- during the other 51 weeks it is barely busy enough to warrant a tower. I’m local enough and fly in semi-regularly during the off season.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    A truth about KOSH- during the other 51 weeks it is barely busy enough to warrant a tower. I’m local enough and fly in semi-regularly during the off season.
    Jeff is correct that OSH traffic volumes "the rest of the year" don't approach AirVenture levels. As with most towered airports, there can be many hours with little aircraft activity. But even without the AirVenture traffic counts, Oshkosh is the third busiest airport in Wisconsin (behind Milwaukee and Madison). The Oshkosh tower operates 16 hours/day with an unusual mix of traffic that includes corporate jets, an active community college flight school, and many aircraft types, including the SubSonex jet, vintage biplanes, a gyrocopter, and Jeff's Breezy.

I doubt KOSH has enough operations to warrant a tower. The effect is that a Basic Sport Pilot or ultralight pilot can't base at the airport, home of EAA (former promoter of Sport Pilot).