Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fly in "Protest"

We arrived on the 18th and stayed till the 23rd. It was a great time and we enjoyed making new OSH family at Sleepy Hollow. We visited the Veterans museum down the road, had a tour of Basler, visited Docs Harley.....google it. It was a great visit and I'm glad we went. One observation was that the EAA security is a little too aggressive. I'm not sure what threat they were prepared for but it's been my experience that the majority of EAA'ers are well behaved. It was quite clear they didnt want any contact with the EAA membership. Pretty Sad.... If Paul were still alive I would bet a weeks pay that camp scholler would have had campers in it. Also, Parnells is great.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by flyjbh View Post
    One observation was that the EAA security is a little too aggressive. I'm not sure what threat they were prepared for but it's been my experience that the majority of EAA'ers are well behaved. It was quite clear they didnt want any contact with the EAA membership. Pretty Sad.... If Paul were still alive I would bet a weeks pay that camp scholler would have had campers in it. Also, Parnells is great.

Jonathan
    IDK, EAA made it pretty clear that they didn't want a bunch of people showing up and risking the health of the community and employees. I think it's pretty sad the EAA had to spend money (that we don't have) into security because of people showing up unwelcome, unable to accept the decision to cancel for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    IDK, EAA made it pretty clear that they didn't want a bunch of people showing up and risking the health of the community and employees. I think it's pretty sad the EAA had to spend money (that we don't have) into security because of people showing up unwelcome, unable to accept the decision to cancel for the year.
    Thats the thing, no one was showing up risking anything. Also, It is not EAA's job to say we are "Unwelcome"...It isn't EAA's airport. It's obvious you don't get why we go to Oshkosh....It isn't for the show... It's for the people. Since when have EAA'ers become wild and crazy vigilantes? Some of the staffers said they were handing out Lifetime bans if you were caught on the grounds. Really? seems a bit excessive. The EAA is struggling on the optics of this..... meanwhile, they post pictures on social media of the goings on at EAA and on the grounds with employees.....not wearing mask or social distancing. So what is the real concern? Health and safety or control? Regardless, we had a great time in OSH, and felt most Welcomed by our new friends and fellow EAA'ers. Can't wait till next year!

It isn't EAA's airport.
    The grounds are all owned by EAA for the most part, and what isn't is used by permission from the airport. Permission was not granted for use this year and EAA was charged with enforcement. They made it abundantly clear that if you did come, you would not find the welcome mat out, and you are mad about that for some reason?
    Last edited by krw920; 07-28-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    The grounds are all owned by EAA for the most part, and what isn't is used by permission from the airport. Permission was not granted for use this year and EAA was charged with enforcement. They made it abundantly clear that if you did come, you would not find the welcome mat out, and you are mad about that for some reason?
    I'm not mad. Did I say I was mad? I was disappointed at the response. This could have been handled differently.... that's all. The story on who owns the grounds is a bit foggy... EAA said that they were leased and they did not lease them out this year....... We complied with the rules and so did everyone else..... That's why I didn't see the need for such aggressive narrative. The fact that the museum was the ONLY museum in Wisconsin that was not opened sent a clear message.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Define grounds. I am under the impression that anything inside the fence is airport property and leased by EAA, at least that’s what I took away the emails. The parking lots, Camp Scholler, Pioneer Airport and associated grounds, the offices and museum are EAA property correct?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Define grounds. I am under the impression that anything inside the fence is airport property and leased by EAA, at least that’s what I took away the emails. The parking lots, Camp Scholler, Pioneer Airport and associated grounds, the offices and museum are EAA property correct?
    Not quite that cut and dried. It can be checked out here who owns what. https://wcgis3.co.winnebago.wi.us/parcelviewer/

I have never seen or heard of a private entity owning property inside the confines of a publicly owned airport.

Isn’t the parcel viewer just showing who has the tax liability???? I would bet that EAA doesn’t own the land under Exhibit Building A-D but does own the buildings with a multi year land lease hence the tax liability. Same applies for the Sonex facility.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    I have never seen or heard of a private entity owning property inside the confines of a publicly owned airport.

Isn’t the parcel viewer just showing who has the tax liability???? I would bet that EAA doesn’t own the land under Exhibit Building A-D but does own the buildings with a multi year land lease hence the tax liability. Same applies for the Sonex facility.
    Right, tax liability is ownership. In the case of the Exhibit buildings, the county owns the land, EAA owns the buildings and leases the land under them. But if you look at the parcel where Theater in the Woods is, and vintage parking to the south of that, though inside the fence, EAA owns the land. East of Wittman Rd is all county property the EAA leases for the convention.

It's obvious you don't get why we go to Oshkosh....It isn't for the show... It's for the people.
    And that's the point. The virus affects the people. You stay away to protect the people. The museum was purposely closed during the week of the convention to protect the people who work there from crowds of people making the trip out of habit. The cancellation of the convention was also about "the people".