Thread: Engine overhaul????

Engine overhaul????

Looking at a c120 in process of being restored. It is in pieces and stripped to bare metal. My main question is the c85 has been sitting since 98 is a overhaul manditory? Can it just be disassembled and inspected??

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1swap View Post
    Looking at a c120 in process of being restored. It is in pieces and stripped to bare metal. My main question is the c85 has been sitting since 98 is a overhaul manditory? Can it just be disassembled and inspected??
    The inspection would be to establish whether engine components are within the range of allowable tolerances and are in an airworthy condition...which is basically what an overhaul does. An overhaul doesn't (necessarily) return the engine to as-new condition, an engine can be overhauled to "service" limits. The A&P who disassembles and inspects the engine is probably not going to be willing to sign off on the engine for a certificated airplane if any part doesn't pass the service limits. Maybe it won't be *logged* as an overhaul, but it is practically the same thing.

I knew someone who had an engine "looked at" in this fashion...since it was for a homebuilt, the mechanic wouldn't have to sign the logs, and the mechanic offered my friend a price break. But when he got the engine back, it was unusable.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1swap View Post
    No, there is no regulatory requirement to overhaul the engine.

That is what I thought but couldn't remember for sure. I am a a&p who never worked in the field of aviation after I graduated. I am mechanicaly inclined and have done several other big mechanical projects. I.e. okmy username I was the first to put a ls1v8 in a fiero.