Thread: For the Nieuport Builders

For the Nieuport Builders

Got bored and needed a Coronavirus Quarantine project... so I used my copy of Solidworks (an EAA member benefit!) to design and build a non-firing, full-scale, replica Lewis Gun. Instructions here:

http://www.wanttaja.com/Lewis/lewis_gun.html
    Name:  lewis gun on fly baby.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  62.3 KB
    The Solidworks files required for building can be found at:

http://www.wanttaja.com/lewis.zip

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 05-24-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Be sure not to shoot your prop off
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Be sure not to shoot your prop off
    Hey, I've got a metal prop. If metal wedges were good enough for Roland Garros, it should be good enough for me...

Ron Wanttaja

Beautiful job!

On the barrel/gas tube attachment to the receiver, it's okay for that to be a bit weak (mine is a wooden circle glued into a PVC tube, held on by a wood screw). In the event of unfortunate circumstances, that's a fine place for it to break, as PVC pipe is inexpensive!

The plus of going with the PVC pipe shroud is that one can 30 foot cheat and run a bolt through it for mounting.

Avoiding politics, the FAA could care less and the BATF would think a wooden gun is cute; it's local folks that might get excited. This is where a 30 foot replica is a good thing, but be aware of where one is. Washington State and Alabama are worlds apart in attitudes of such things.

That said, I'm glad it's a block of wood with plastic. I've seen a number of blank firing examples that are, um, dark gray by the laws on what a firearm is and isn't.

Next up: converting your gun to gas so it goes bang bang bang with a flame out of the barrel!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Replica Lewis Guns

Nice looking replica. There's a group here on the Independence airport building DH-2 replicas and one has flown. To complete the replica I built a gas firing Lewis. Some photos are attached. In some DH-2 Lewis installations a small wind screen was mounted on the gun.

Vince Homer
    Attached Images Attached Images    

If you do decide to make a gas powered MG remember that the barrel and breach block get very hot. Any parts made from plastic that are in contact with them will certainly melt. I used high density Masonite for part of the receiver and it begins to smoke after a few seconds of firing on auto.

Vince Homer