Thread: STOL for Mountain Flying

STOL for Mountain Flying

Perhaps a little information on me would assist in any advise you folks may provide. I've toyed with the idea of a STOL aircraft for some time now and attended 2 EAA AirVentures in Oshkosh several years ago but didn't do anything. I've been flying since 1982 starting with a Warrior, then Turbo Arrow and have had a Seneca II since 2003. I'm IFR rated but fly less and less as time goes on and I'm now 75 years old and retired in the Canadian Rockies. I now only fly VFR and take the Seneca to Phoenix for the winters. If I buy a STOL I would keep the Seneca for cross country and use the STOL for sightseeing, etc. in the Rockies so I need good performance, preferably a engine with turbo. My preference would be tricycle gear as I've flown my brother's citabria and feel more comfortable with tricycle and like side by side seating - although we have a 6,000 foot runway here it's the only option and crosswinds can be an issue. I realize tricycle gear limits the landing options.

MY budget is around US$100,000 and prefer to buy something already built - this might be unrealistic. I'd love to have a new one with a quick build but the price soars. I like the Kitfox and it appears it would be a good option but the price is limiting and not many for sale - a Zenith 750 may also be an option as there are a few for sale and within my budget.

Any suggestions?
    Thx
    Bob

A Zenith 750 with a the 135HP turbocharged Rotax 915IS would be a wonderful combination and would fit your budget. You’d probably have difficulty finding a completed example of that combination for sale though. It’s a relatively new variant of the Rotax 912 and an expensive engine-likely not a typical choice for the average 750 builder. Perhaps you could find a nearly completed 750 kit and install the engine yourself? Good luck and keep flying!
    LownSlow

If you are in British Columbia you may want to join the BC General Aviation Association https://www.bcaviation.ca/

Lots of STOL flyers there that can share their experiences in the Rockies.

Also if you are considering a Zenith 750, RAA 85 in Delta has one and there are 3 of them under construction by the members. The monthly meetings are currently on Zoom so easy to join in. http://www.raa85.ca/

Thanks for the responses - I'll follow up on the suggestions.
    Cheers
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robertwidmer View Post
    Perhaps a little information on me would assist in any advise you folks may provide. I've toyed with the idea of a STOL aircraft for some time now and attended 2 EAA AirVentures in Oshkosh several years ago but didn't do anything. I've been flying since 1982 starting with a Warrior, then Turbo Arrow and have had a Seneca II since 2003. I'm IFR rated but fly less and less as time goes on and I'm now 75 years old and retired in the Canadian Rockies. I now only fly VFR and take the Seneca to Phoenix for the winters. If I buy a STOL I would keep the Seneca for cross country and use the STOL for sightseeing, etc. in the Rockies so I need good performance, preferably a engine with turbo. My preference would be tricycle gear as I've flown my brother's citabria and feel more comfortable with tricycle and like side by side seating - although we have a 6,000 foot runway here it's the only option and crosswinds can be an issue. I realize tricycle gear limits the landing options.

MY budget is around US$100,000 and prefer to buy something already built - this might be unrealistic. I'd love to have a new one with a quick build but the price soars. I like the Kitfox and it appears it would be a good option but the price is limiting and not many for sale - a Zenith 750 may also be an option as there are a few for sale and within my budget.

Any suggestions?
    Thx
    Bob
    Bob:

I have about 5,000 hours in the two Avid Flyer experimental aircraft I've owned.

I fly the high Sierras and attend fly-ins at Johnson Creek Idaho each year. I love the back country flying and, 82 years old, I hope to keep it up for many years.

My avid MK 4 is powered by a Jabiru 2200 Gen 4 engine. I have no problems get as high as 15,000 ML. I cruise at 100+MPH TAS burning 2.8 GPH at altitude.

My hangar mate is selling is immaculate Zenith 750 he is selling due to deteriorating health issues. It has only 250 hours total engine/airframe. It is powered by a Rotax 912 100 HP which will get you in and out of any mountain strip. It cruises at 90 MPH TAS.

I have posted it on Barnstormers.

He is asking $55K OBO for quick sale.

John M

Quote Originally Posted by skypics View Post
    Bob:

I have about 5,000 hours in the two Avid Flyer experimental aircraft I've owned.

I fly the high Sierras and attend fly-ins at Johnson Creek Idaho each year. I love the back country flying and, 82 years old, I hope to keep it up for many years.

My avid MK 4 is powered by a Jabiru 2200 Gen 4 engine. I have no problems get as high as 15,000 ML. I cruise at 100+MPH TAS burning 2.8 GPH at altitude.

My hangar mate is selling is immaculate Zenith 750 he is selling due to deteriorating health issues. It has only 250 hours total engine/airframe. It is powered by a Rotax 912 100 HP which will get you in and out of any mountain strip. It cruises at 90 MPH TAS.

I have posted it on Barnstormers.

He is asking $55K OBO for quick sale.

John M
    Thanks John
    I'll look for it on Barnstormers but perhaps your friend could email me the details at:
    bobwidmer1@gmail.com

Bob