Thread: Sport pilot with your drivers license

Sport pilot with your drivers license

I have a question I think someone can answer. If I have a sport pilot certificate and a 3rd class special issuance (DWI years ago) can I switch to flying with my drivers license and not have to continue t.o carry the 3rd class S/I ? If so do I just drop my 3rd class S/I or is it more complicated . Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Biplaneflyer View Post
    I have a question I think someone can answer. If I have a sport pilot certificate and a 3rd class special issuance (DWI years ago) can I switch to flying with my drivers license and not have to continue t.o carry the 3rd class S/I ? If so do I just drop my 3rd class S/I or is it more complicated . Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
    If the FAA has withdrawn the Special Issuance, you're out of luck. But if you're just letting it expire, you can still operate as a Sport Pilot with the driver's license.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ots/response2/

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advoca...ut-sport-pilot

From the AOPA site:

I'm a certificated pilot without a medical. Can I fly as a sport pilot?

Yes. If you already hold at least a recreational pilot certificate and have allowed your medical to expire, you might be able to fly without an FAA medical certificate, even if your most recent medical was a special issuance. Here's what you need to qualify:

• You must hold at least a recreational pilot certificate.
    • You must have a current, valid state-issued driver's license.
    • Your application for your last FAA medical certificate cannot have been denied.
    • Your most recent issued medical must not have been suspended or revoked.
    • If you held a Special Issuance Medical, it must not have been withdrawn.
    • You can't have a medical condition that makes you an unsafe pilot.
    • You must be able to self-assess that you are medically fit to fly.

Ron Wanttaja

What Ron said, with one caveat: If your special issuance requires anything on your part, like participation in a HIMS program, you have to keep that up until the medical expires. If you don't, and the FAA finds out and revokes your medical, you can't fly as a sport pilot.

What Ron and Dana said, with emphasis on "until the medical expires." With few exceptions, you're free to fly under Sport Pilot (subject to FAR 61.53(c)(2)) once your medical is no longer valid (either per the ordinary duration or a "not valid for any class after" limitation).
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921