Thread: Back to Grass Roots Fly In????

Back to Grass Roots Fly In????

So assuming that Wisconsin was able to get the all clear, how much effort for the EAA would it be to have a simple grass roots fly in? The camping facilities operate on their own(showers, bathrooms), it would be simple but well attended. Fly out with what you fly in with. Ask the IAC to come up with a simple airshow (EAA open the acro box, I've dine this, its not hard) and thousands of EAA'rs would come and spend money, pay camping fees, and help soften the blow of the whole event being canceled. We have a great facility that operates somewhat on its own for other events ie. church events, farm shows, etc.... and Camp Scholler is full when those events take place. Its just a thought, from a Can-Do EAA member that remembers when we would have had a brainstorming session and multiple ideas on how to be compliant but participatory. This new EAA vibe doesn't set well with me, there are ALWAYS other options. Ask yourself, what would Paul do? . The answer is not to advertise that the grounds are closed and the facility is barricaded off...... That sends the wrong message to the thousands of members that rely on this one event for life fulfillment..... and spend big money to make it happen. This is a big deal.

Thats all.

Jonathan

Jonathan I don’t think you realize that the Camp Scholler is closed by state order. No one including the small ( and that’s a relative term) cadre of volunteers who start arriving in May are permitted onto the grounds. Only EAA staff are allowed.

The state has not even issued guidelines for re opening large events. All kinds of spring and summer events across the state are being cancelled. In reality the real decision was to start committing funds or not. Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball to predict when the state will resume business as usual. Right now it doesn’t appear to be anytime soon. Some organizations are considering canceling fall activities. Financially I think it made sense.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Jonathan I don’t think you realize that the Camp Scholler is closed by state order. No one including the small ( and that’s a relative term) cadre of volunteers who start arriving in May are permitted onto the grounds. Only EAA staff are allowed.

The state has not even issued guidelines for re opening large events. All kinds of spring and summer events across the state are being cancelled. In reality the real decision was to start committing funds or not. Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball to predict when the state will resume business as usual. Right now it doesn’t appear to be anytime soon. Some organizations are considering canceling fall activities. Financially I think it made sense.
    I do realize that it is closed.....see the first sentence of my post. I hope the restrictions relax, if not this is all moot.

Unfortunately EAA is done for the summer. Triple Tree is a great grass roots fly-in. If you haven’t been you’re really missing a good event.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Sent out today by EAA.

Will my volunteer comped-camping be transferred from 2020 to 2021?
    All 2019 volunteer hours will be honored for AirVenture 2021 camping requirements. Any volunteer hours from 2020 will also be honored, but not combined with 2019 hours.
    Will Camp Scholler or Audrey’s Park still be open for volunteers this summer if I still want to come?
    No. In conjunction with the Badger Bounce Back Program in Wisconsin, the entire EAA campus will be closed to volunteers until further notice. Our campgrounds will not have the proper infrastructure in place to support people (such as showers, bathrooms, food service, etc.) nor be licensed to host anyone. Gates will be closed and entrances locked to these areas. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
    If I fly in, will I be able to camp next to my aircraft?
    Wittman Regional Airport will operate as it does during non-AirVenture periods. If you fly in, you will be able to taxi to recognized airport areas such as Basler Flight Services or the terminal. EAA is not leasing the airport grounds for the summer. Thus, you will not be able to park your aircraft in the grass or anywhere else other than year-round airport parking areas, and you will not be able to camp outside. In addition, there will be no facilities such as restrooms, showers, food service, etc., in the areas traditionally used for AirVenture aircraft parking. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
    I still want to come and help maintain the grounds/I had planned to attend weekend work parties.
    We appreciate your support and dedication to EAA and AirVenture. In conjunction with the Badger Bounce Back Program in Wisconsin, the entire EAA campus will be closed to volunteers until further notice. We have canceled all weekend work parties. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
    I still plan to come. I already took vacation. Will there be space for me?
    We appreciate your support and dedication to EAA and AirVenture, but we are not allowing volunteers on the grounds until further notice. We will not have proper infrastructure needed to support people (like showers, restrooms, food service, etc.) nor be licensed to host anyone. Gates will be closed and entrances locked to the AirVenture grounds. For the safety of all, we ask that you take the summer off from EAA and be ready for AirVenture 2021.
    If I fly in, park my aircraft in the official airport areas, and stay in a local hotel, can I still come over and volunteer?
    Unfortunately, no. The volunteer program is on hiatus for the time being. We will announce when the volunteer program is allowed to commence once again.
    Can I purchase my volunteer and/or Chairman shirt/hat for AirVenture 2020?
    EAA will not be ordering these items, so they will not be available for purchase.
    Will we still get a volunteer patch for 2020?
    There will not be a volunteer patch for 2020.
    What about the volunteer coupon for AirVenture 2020?
    Thank you for your ongoing support. We have set up a one-time use online volunteer coupon code that you can use to get 20% off your entire order on eaa.org/shop. This offer will replace the paper coupon that you were mailed for AirVenture 2020. Coupon code will expire on August 1, 2020 and cannot be combined with any other promotions. A coupon will not be issued for use during AirVenture 2021.

How about a “touch n go”?

I really like the idea! I hope EAA can put something together. Oshkosh is two months away, we are going to have a lot more information on this thing over the next two months.

Groups will start flying in on the weekend of the 18th. We are going to use the Basler ramp, stay at local campgrounds and hotels, and visit the local watering holes. This is EAA.....without EAA. If the museum somehow opens up prior to August 1st, it will be busy. If not, thats ok too. The optics won't be great if there are a bunch of EAA'ers in OSH spending money at other museums/businesses and the main HQ is still closed. We shall see. Fly safe everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by flyjbh View Post
    Groups will start flying in on the weekend of the 18th. We are going to use the Basler ramp, stay at local campgrounds and hotels, and visit the local watering holes. This is EAA.....without EAA. If the museum somehow opens up prior to August 1st, it will be busy. If not, thats ok too. The optics won't be great if there are a bunch of EAA'ers in OSH spending money at other museums/businesses and the main HQ is still closed. We shall see. Fly safe everyone!
    We're flying in the 20th and staying at the Hilton. Got a rental car reservation so our plan is to explore the local area that we've always ignored to this point plus hit the Harley Museum in Milwaukee.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!