Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam !

Spam !

There are two 'ads' posted here; one for some Apple junk, another for Sasmsung stuff. Both have NOTHING to do with aviation and don't belong here.

Moderators -REMOVE THIS BLATANT SPAM !!!!

I'm with you, Wilfred. I don't want to sound overly harsh, but there has to be something fundamentally wrong with the way registrations on this forum are approved. Three other forums I belong to for other interests of mine have more members that this one, have been around much longer, and have practically zero issues with this. In the time that I have belonged to one of them (about 8 years) there has not been a SINGLE spam post. The other two of those combined have had less spam posts over the last 5 years than this forum has in the past three weeks. Whatever process is being used here to weed out bogus users is not working...

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Believe me, we delete spam posts and ban the users as soon as we see them, and do our best to watch out for them any time day or night. A couple of weeks after we launched, we switched from the captcha method to the custom question, and spam posts dropped dramatically, but it obviously isn't perfect yet. There's a balance between making it easy for the right people to sign up and harder for the spammers - even with the simple process we're using now, I stll get a handful of complaints that it's already too complicated...I'm wide open to suggestions about improving the verification process within reason - we can't force every post or registrant through an approval process, for instance. Regardless, I'll make this a priority this coming week and see if I can find areas where we can improve. In the meantime, any time you see a spam post, please let us know right away by using the "report post" button to make sure we see it ASAP.

Thanks - Hal

P.S. One small point to consider - when I'm moderating "on the go" (away from a PC or tablet), I'm usually using Tapatalk on my iPhone. I've found that when I delete post using this app, it does a "soft" delete, which leaves the post title visible but greyed out, along with a message that the post was deleted. When I'm at my PC, deleting a post prompts me to choose between fully deleting it or doing the "soft" delete, and I always choose the former. The upshot of this is that you might still occasionally see spam post titles (but not their content) if I've removed it via my phone and haven't yet gotten to a full browser. I'll be extra aware of this going forward.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Not a big deal Hal. You all do pretty good. Some folks just need to complain.....!

Wifred, why not just ignore the post that you don't like? It's not as if someone was knocking on your front door in the middle of the night.

And as for selling Apple stuff, if I read this site correctly, there are probably a lot more pilots vitally interested in discussing, buying, and "flying" I Pads and similar than a real airplane with just wings, tail, engine, and not many gadgets.

When I went to the AOPA convention in Hartford, the most attentended topic was the one about IPads.. Much more so than spins and recovery, IFR, Emergencies, or learning to fly.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-11-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Bill,

The posts were bitchin' about are pure advertising BS that have nothing to with EAA. I think it's safe to say that no one wants them around.

Hal: Over on the Purple Board, we drastically reduced the number of spam posts (like 1 or 2 a year get posted now) after blocking a certain range of IP addresses. Let me know if you're interested in this range and I'll PM you with them.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Yes, please - that's much appreciated!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

But i LIKE Spam.
    A couple pieces of Spam on Black bread with jack cheese and hot mustard....YUM!

I had spam spam eggs sausage & spam for breakfast the other day

Sad Must be SPAM..?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I had spam spam eggs sausage & spam for breakfast the other day
    Come on Wilfred, more SPAM here to complain about!