Thread: Let’s Fly Above Niagara Falls - “How To”

Let’s Fly Above Niagara Falls - “How To”

Here’s a little something different from me in my Vans RV9A.
    Living in the Golden Horseshoe region of Southern Ontario allows me to fly over Niagara Falls fairly often. I put this video together to illustrate the flight rules and procedures that must be followed with a few scenic points of interest. Video was captured with a GoPro mounted to the underside of the right wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eriEPWJaWNw

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Amazing footage. Quite the experience.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! Amazing footage. Quite the experience.
    You are very welcome. Fun putting this type of video together. Lots more planned.

The best I can do is try to replicate it in Flight Sim X-SE - lol Which I think will be the plan for later on today.

Can this procedure be entered from the US side or would a US aircraft have to land and clear customs in Canada to fly it?

Quote Originally Posted by harrelson View Post
    Can this procedure be entered from the US side or would a US aircraft have to land and clear customs in Canada to fly it?
    See this article published on May 1, 2017 for more info.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...d-trip-niagara

It mentions that special procedures to fly above the Falls can be found in the Northeast US Chart Supplement.

Nice video -- thanks for sharing this.

Larry N.

The flight in my Pipistrel Virus SW80 from Niagara Falls Intl airport due West was uneventful, clear skies and a perfect day to go. The view of the falls was amazing. I circled them a few times, flew right next to the tall tower and then returned to the airport for a safe landing. A fun trip and well worth the short time it took me to attach the Logitech yoke and throttle quardrant to my PC desk. I'm thinking maybe the Great Pyramids will be today's FSX-SE destination? So many airports, so much retirement time -lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The flight in my Pipistrel Virus SW80 from Niagara Falls Intl airport due West was uneventful, clear skies and a perfect day to go. The view of the falls was amazing. I circled them a few times, flew right next to the tall tower and then returned to the airport for a safe landing. A fun trip and well worth the short time it took me to attach the Logitech yoke and throttle quardrant to my PC desk. I'm thinking maybe the Great Pyramids will be today's FSX-SE destination? So many airports, so much retirement time -lol
    Well that sounds great! I’m holding off to visit the Pyramids till Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is available. Screenshots are looking amazing!