Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2020 IS officially cancelled

Wow, four percent, of what! Sounds as if they have a Demoncrat for a governor! Poor Oshkosh business people are going to take a real hit.

I suggest that perhaps WHEN they sound the "All Clear", presuming proper health safety can be observed, a nice Summer road trip to visit the EAA Museum and Pioneer Airport might be in order. Maybe stay overnight, buy some local meals? That sort of thing. I DID go online this afternoon to the EAA store and ordered an AirVenture 2020 hat and T-shirt as a tiny token of financial support.... as a nice commemorative..... since it sure doesn't look like I'll be getting my normal 2020 Volunteer shirt from Tram Operations.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 05-02-2020 at 09:19 PM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I DID go online this afternoon to the EAA store and ordered an AirVenture 2020 hat and T-shirt as a tiny token of financial support...
    I did the same. Some stuff I knew I was likely to pick up anyhow. I usually hit the Hobbytown store while I'm in town, I'll probably make an order there too. It's not my local hobby shop, but it is A local hobby shop. https://www.hobbytown.com/oshkosh-wi/l69

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I suggest that perhaps WHEN they sound the "All Clear", presuming proper health safety can be observed, a nice Summer road trip to visit the EAA Museum and Pioneer Airport might be in order. Maybe stay overnight, buy some local meals? That sort of thing.
    i like that, and probably will find a way to go to Oshkosh for a day or three. Been going since Oshkosh was in Rockford, and it just wouldn’t be right not to go.

BJC

Happy

Bought some stuff on the online store
    Last part of summer or early fall, ( if its halfway safe) will fly up to Oshkosh and volunteer to mow, fix roads in camping area and repair signs
    Anything else that steve might need me to do,
    Just because they cancelled air venture, that does not mean that nothing needs to be done.
    May not have a airshow--but damn it--its still going to be my 27th straight year to go to Oshkosh

EAA Chairman of the Board & CEO Jack Pelton and AOPA President & CEO Mark Baker talk about the decision to cancel EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2020, the FAA's Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR) and more on a recent edition of AOPA Pilot Lounge that was released on May 4, 2020. https://youtu.be/zEo09gUCuf4

A good source informed me that the leadership has a fund in place to cover the revenue loss and cancellation of Airventure for one year. Aviation people are darn intelligent as a general rule. I am looking forward to Airventure 2021 !!!

I don’t have a source, but I did note that in one of his comments on cancellation, Jack said it would be a big blow to the bottom line, but would be manageable. That led me to believe they had decent plans in place.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I want to thank Jack for the call. Being in my golden years I needed to decide wether to risk attending or not. Have been going for so many years it would have been a difficult decision. I know Airventure is the money maker for EAA so I just donated $100 which I figure is the profit from my weekly pass. As Paul put it, as a member I am a owner and I hope for better and safer event next year.

Hi All-
    Just a thought- while the cancellation will certainly represent a huge blow to EAA income, there won't be the usual expenditures, either. And as bad as it might be for EAA, our event is the biggest thing that happens in the entire state and surely for the locals. I like the idea of hitting the museum and spending some cash locally. Not to mention the part about making my needing to keep the unbroken string unbroken!