Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2020 IS officially cancelled

Hey Kyle I tried
    The grounds void of aircraft and campers just ain’t right! It’s been pretty darn gusty all day with the winds basically out of the west. Would have made the N-S arrival watching mmmm.....entertaining!?!?!
    Celebrated the non start of AirVenture by renewing my BasicMed this morning. Now on to completing my eFIRC.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    Better miserable in Oshkosh than miserable at home. There's at least airplanes in Oshkosh.
    I've got airplanes here, and helicopters. Had a Hiller and an R44 shoot past the house today.

I've never been to Airventure, but plan to attend in the next year or two. Usually the week of the event is filled with the sounds of the controllers on my phone or computer, and this year I'm really going to miss that.

I've only been 3 times and it's a sight to behold. I take my old hand held and when just kickin' back at camp I sometimes listen to what's going on, on the field. I didn't go last year so I watched the live cams and got to see a lot of incoming traffic. It was cool, but being there is the ticket!
    Bob

Well, lemme see if I can sprinkle a little gasoline on this thread.

I see the Sturgis motorcycle rally is going ahead this weekend. Similar-sized crowd to that of AirVenture, heading to a part of the country that hasn't had much Covid-19 exposure. The big difference is that the Sturgis attendees probably bathe more. :-)

Sturgis is a lot smaller than Oshkosh (about one tenth the population).

Ron Wanttaja

Cops pulled me over while carefully trying to get through Sturgis on the way home from Oshkosh. I wasn't speeding, he said I failed to yield to the left lane for emergency vehicles on the shoulder. The emergency vehicle was him waiting for someone.
    I didn't yield because two motorcycles were in the left lane. The law is must yield " if able". So I didn't get a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post

I see the Sturgis motorcycle rally is going ahead this weekend. Similar-sized crowd to that of AirVenture, heading to a part of the country that hasn't had much Covid-19 exposure. The big difference is that the Sturgis attendees probably bathe more. :-)
    Actually, if you are counting bodies, Sturgis is about the same size. If you're counting vehicles, it's thirty times the size of "The EAA" event.|

COVID's hitting Sturgis attendance however. They're only expecting about half the usual crowd.

Ron, Ron, Ron... Apples to apples. If you are going to count "vehicles" at OSH, you have to include all of the golf carts and gators on the grounds -- and Randy's tram.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Chris, Exactly what Category and Class would a tram fit into?? I am assuming one could get away with a Commercial Single Engine Land but would need a Tram type rating based on the number of pax and GW?
    Does Ron get to claim SIC time or is he just cabin crew?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Ron, Ron, Ron... Apples to apples. If you are going to count "vehicles" at OSH, you have to include all of the golf carts and gators on the grounds -- and Randy's tram.
    Despite appearances, there's not that many at Oshkosh. If you've ever been to the scooter/cart pit at the beginning or end of the event, you'd see how many there are and it's nuttin' compared to even a scaled back Sturgis.