Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2020 IS officially cancelled

Champion sticker

I have 26 champion Oshkosh stickers ( get them at registration) on my hangar wall.
    This would have been my 27th straight year
    Not happy about having a blank space between 2019 and 2021
    Thinking about having some made that would be the same shape
    But would say 2020 --Corona Oshkosh-with a slash through the 2020
    OR--if Champion already had the 2020 made--would buy one or fly up just to get one

Now that we've known for a few weeks that A/V will not be going on this year, the realization is really sinking in. I've never been a steady A/V attendee, it's a pretty big trip for me, so planning something about every other year is ok. 2018 was my last year and 2020 was going to be the year I was going to get to fly in, bucket list thing you know. So now, I have 14 months to plan, dream, plan some more, figure a way to have a plane to fly and loose that 30 pounds I said I was going to loose, I only have 33 more pounds to go. It's not so much the 14 months I have to wait, heck, I've planned farther in advance than that. But there is a sadness that, not only will my buddy and I not make it, but the thousands of other pilots, enthusiast, kids, veterans and people in general that love aviation are going to miss it also, and I feel a sadness for EAA and all the volunteers. I did buy an AirVenture 2020 tee shirt and I will continue to fly as often as I can, not just because I love it, but also to keep learning and staying proficient. I've just recently started venturing into Class D airspace, I know, not a big deal for most pilots but I haven't penetrated controlle airspace since I got my license in 1974. So, I'll keep doing what I always do and I'll keep planning for A/V 2021, perhaps I'll see some of y'all there.
    Bob

I've been attending since 1992. Haven't missed a year and I'm not particularly broken up about the cancellation this year. I've got all the Vintage opeartions computers here anyhow so we can sit around and pretend we'er clocking in and out volunteers and checking whether people are old enough to park in Vintage.

We’re heading up to Wisconsin for the summer in a few weeks. So for the “opening day” I thought I would d throw a beach chair and a cooler of drinks and snacks in the back of my P/U and take the short drive down to OSH. Find a place to pull over and crank up my radial engine sound CD and see if anyone does a flyover or touch n go. I’m betting there is gonna be more than a couple show up just so they can say they did. Actually I’m hoping that there will be a lot of ‘em!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I've been attending since 1992. Haven't missed a year and I'm not particularly broken up about the cancellation this year. I've got all the Vintage opeartions computers here anyhow so we can sit around and pretend we'er clocking in and out volunteers and checking whether people are old enough to park in Vintage.
    How old do you have to be to park in vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    We’re heading up to Wisconsin for the summer in a few weeks. So for the “opening day” I thought I would d throw a beach chair and a cooler of drinks and snacks in the back of my P/U and take the short drive down to OSH. Find a place to pull over and crank up my radial engine sound CD and see if anyone does a flyover or touch n go. I’m betting there is gonna be more than a couple show up just so they can say they did. Actually I’m hoping that there will be a lot of ‘em!
    We 're going to do a "virtual fly-in". My brother is still coming to visit and stay with us. We plan on slathering on some sunscreen, eat some fresh donuts and fly some warbirds on the sim. Watch a lot of Oshkosh videos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    How old do you have to be to park in vintage?
    Your aircraft has to be manufactured prior to the end of December 1970 (at least by the current rules. I should have said aircraft rather than people.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    You can go sit on the deck at the Hilton and have them serve you food and drinks and watch the occasional runway 9 arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Your aircraft has to be manufactured prior to the end of December 1970 (at least by the current rules. I should have said aircraft rather than people.
    Has that date updated each decade or something as planes get older and fewer? I have a 1981.

It is based on the judging criteria. It was 1965 back when I first started to come to Oshkosh in 1992 and had moved up in jerky steps. It's not a set number of years. You'd have to ask the vintage board about whether they are going to consider changing it. We just enforce the policy.