Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: AirVenture 2020 IS officially cancelled

  1. #71
    Airmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NW. Atlanta GA
    Posts
    348
    Kinda mis-spoke. The shutdown and shelter in place edict was still in effect when EAA cancelled. The overturning of Evers’ policy didn’t occur until later. I seriously doubt EAA saw that coming; even if they did it was too late to help.

    The SC decision, however, did not impact counties, municipalities and individual business practices. Banks didn’t open their lobbies until mid June. Summer camps for kids, at least in my area, are not happening. There are even a few local business that don’t allow public access. I can’t speak to Winnebago County policies.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

  2. #72

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I received an email notice today that the Triple Tree group has cancelled every event for the rest of 2020. TT Aerodrome is in South Carolina. As of today, the Reno air races is still a go. Any wagers on that happening?
    I thought Reno announced its cancellation a day or two ago?

  3. #73
    Eric Page's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toledo, WA
    Posts
    204
    Yes, Reno was cancelled several days ago.
    Eric Page
    Building Kitfox Series 5
    Member: EAA, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: MEL / Comm: SEL, Glider / ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

  4. #74
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Kinda mis-spoke. The shutdown and shelter in place edict was still in effect when EAA cancelled. The overturning of Evers’ policy didn’t occur until later. I seriously doubt EAA saw that coming; even if they did it was too late to help.

    The SC decision, however, did not impact counties, municipalities and individual business practices. Banks didn’t open their lobbies until mid June. Summer camps for kids, at least in my area, are not happening. There are even a few local business that don’t allow public access. I can’t speak to Winnebago County policies.
    Winnebago county politicians might not have been too happy with tens of thousands of folks showing up from Covid hot spots like Florida, Arizona, Texas, and California. They might have closed down Airventure for those reasons alone, and it would have been a LOT messier if EAA had planned and prepared for it, only to have the county or the state cancel it at the last moment.

    Ron Wanttaja

  5. #75
    FlyingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC26 (Catawba, NC)
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    According to what I'm seeing in the MSM, deaths are flat. (Mostly, I think that's because of the distancing and other measures taken in retirement facilities).

    Here's a story: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...hs-flat-2020-7
    Hospitalizations are way up in the "reopened" states. The lockdown kept most states that weren't initially devastated from exceeding their ICU capacity. They're doing so now.

    The problem is that deaths should be going down if you believe that the case is subsiding. And the flattening isn't nearly as prominent if you look at the particularly affected states. There's also a 14 day lag on deaths vs. positive tests, so it's not clear that things aren't going to upturn.||
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 07-04-2020 at 07:09 AM.

  6. #76
    I'd like to see all the numbers for Covid 19....then compare them to the "common" flu....or is that a secret?
    Last edited by mbalexander; 07-03-2020 at 09:43 AM.

  7. #77
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    According to what I'm seeing in the MSM, deaths are flat. (Mostly, I think that's because of the distancing and other measures taken in retirement facilities).

    Here's a story: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...hs-flat-2020-7
    I disagree with their use of the term "flat"...I prefer "linear." "Flat," to me, implies neither rising or falling (e.g., "flatlined").



    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

    Otherwise, I agree with their conclusion that difference in the rates is due to younger people becoming infected. While increased reporting is probably a factor in the spike in cases, the hospitalization rate is jumping, too. Some states are running out of ICU room (again....).

    Ron Wanttaja

  8. #78
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,604
    Quote Originally Posted by mbalexander View Post
    I'd like to see all the numbers for Covid 19....then compare them to the "common" flu....or is that a secret?

    https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...h-rates-2020-3

    "This year's flu season is shaping up to be possibly less severe than the 2017-2018 season, when 61,000 deaths were linked to the virus. However, it could equal or surpass the 2018-2019 season's 34,200 flu-related deaths.

    "Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. "

    https://www.health.com/condition/col...flu-every-year

    So, about 34,000 flu-related deaths in 2018-2019, vs. 130,000 deaths IN JUST FOUR MONTHS since Covid-19 hit. Some predictions say we're going to hit 200,000 deaths by December.

    Ron Wanttaja

  9. #79
    Wrongway Feldman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Posts
    274
    I went to see my family doctor a couple days ago.
    He came into the examination room with his mask hanging off of one of his ears.
    He started telling me stuff like, "If I were 65 years old and had diabetes" and got COVID19.
    I would have a 97 percent survival rate of living.

    This whole COVID19 thing is making me a little uneasy.
    There is just not a coherent single source of info of what to believe.
    Where everyone is on the same page.
    This is a sad state of affairs.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post

    This whole COVID19 thing is making me a little uneasy.
    There is just not a coherent single source of info of what to believe.
    Where everyone is on the same page.
    This is a sad state of affairs.


    My take EXACTLY!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •