Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2020 IS officially cancelled

One year I was preparing to go to the show and was printing up my usual VAC and VFR signs. I added a "THANK YOU" and "HILTON" signs. The THANK YOU was well received by most of the ground guys (I actually had one snap my picture while I was holding it up). The HILTON was that on the last day of the show we taxi up to the HILTON and check in so we can have a shower before the volunteer "dead dog" party and sleep in a nice bed and have a breakfast before flying home.

Subsequent years I ended up with more signs like: "YOU LOOK GOOD IN ORANGE," "YOU LOOK GOOD IN PINK," and "MVFR."

One year I showed up with "WHY CAN'T I PARK HERE?" "I PARKED HERE LAST YEAR." "I KNOW TOM."

Starting to look like EAA may have guessed right....

Ron Wanttaja

Since the middle of March, the outcome of ALL Covid 19 mitigation, containment and recovery protocols depended 100% on WE THE PEOPLE following simple instructions and health safety guidelines. In other words, it was screwed from the start.

The large increases in so many States when graphed out also one-to-one inversely reflects the 'common sense' and cranial capacity levels of the citizens of each State..... IMHO
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm not sure cases/day is a fair measure. We're testing far more people today because testing is widely available and not just to people at high risk or who have likely been exposed.

That said, I have professional adult cow-workers (tip of the hat to Dilbert) who are going places/doing things I wouldn't do right now and things they wouldn't have done a month or two ago. They have let their guard way down. That isn't helpful.

Ron I think you give EAA too much credit. Wisconsin is still not allowing public gatherings greater than 25. I haven’t seen anything to collaborate but I’ve been told Oshkosh is seeing a big uptick. That could be due to more people going back to work and getting tested. Virtually all major events in the area have been canx’ed.
    The weather has gone from rainy every day to brutally hot and humid. It hit 92 on my unofficial and uncalibrated weather station. The RH is about 30% but the winds have gone flat. Predicted to remain unchanged for about the next 10 days. So much for coming north to escape the southern heat
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'm not sure cases/day is a fair measure. We're testing far more people today because testing is widely available and not just to people at high risk or who have likely been exposed.

That said, I have professional adult cow-workers (tip of the hat to Dilbert) who are going places/doing things I wouldn't do right now and things they wouldn't have done a month or two ago. They have let their guard way down. That isn't helpful.
    The other metrics are going up as well. You don't have to have a sophisticated test to determine if someone is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The other metrics are going up as well. You don't have to have a sophisticated test to determine if someone is dead.
    According to what I'm seeing in the MSM, deaths are flat. (Mostly, I think that's because of the distancing and other measures taken in retirement facilities).

Here's a story: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...hs-flat-2020-7

So much for coming north to escape the southern heat.
    I have spent all of my 73 years, (except when working in other states for a few months at a time) in the South, but in 2011 on my first trip to Airventure, I got sun poisoning. Go figure !
    Bob, you call this hot?! Well, yeah !

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Ron I think you give EAA too much credit. Wisconsin is still not allowing public gatherings greater than 25.
    Actually there are no statewide restrictions in WI. Our Supreme Court shot that down in early May. Of course EAA had no way to predict that when they made the decision and they went with the best info they had at the time.

The statewide case numbers are seeing an uptick but both deaths and hospitalizations are steadily decreasing. Those numbers are a better barometer then cases, which are subject to the vagaries of testing.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

I received an email notice today that the Triple Tree group has cancelled every event for the rest of 2020. TT Aerodrome is in South Carolina. As of today, the Reno air races is still a go. Any wagers on that happening?