Thread: Camping spot rental - demand/interest

Camping spot rental - demand/interest

I am looking for some advice. I am an Oshkosh local and AirVenture volunteer for the last few years, and one of the complaints I have heard is regarding the availability of "improved" camp sites. I'm considering adding one RV/camper site to my property, about an 8 minute drive from Camp Scholler. The site would be a quiet and relatively private 1.5 acre fenced grass area (5ft tall wire fence), with dual 30 amp power, non-potable water hookup and 100mb wireless Internet. I would have to run the electric, water and Internet, so there would be some costs involved for me, and have the area mowed starting a few weeks prior to the show, so it would require some investment on my part.

Do people think there would be interest/demand for this? What would be a fair charge for this, knowing that I have to install services? Where would be a spot to advertise this, as it seems that all of the existing rental sites are set up for houses and not necessarily a camp site.

Thanks in advance, and let's hope AirVenture 2020 happens!

One of the benefits of camping at Scholler or at one of the properties immediately adjacent is you have walking access to the entry gates or can grab one of the school buses that will take you there. No added parking fees, no waitiing in long lines to get into those parking areas and then the long hike to the grounds.

Water/electricity sites at Scholler last year were $70 a day.

One of the private camping areas immediately adjacent to AirVenture is Relleumtdats camping area. You could always call them for pricing info?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    One of the benefits of camping at Scholler or at one of the properties immediately adjacent is you have walking access to the entry gates or can grab one of the school buses that will take you there. No added parking fees, no waitiing in long lines to get into those parking areas and then the long hike to the grounds.

Water/electricity sites at Scholler last year were $70 a day.

One of the private camping areas immediately adjacent to AirVenture is Relleumtdats camping area. You could always call them for pricing info?
    Absolutely, I think having your own fenced 1.5 acres without another camper in sight is a bit different than a 20' wide campsite though, though there is no lake view as places like Kalbus have. One of the top complaints I hear though is how you have to reserve for weeks ahead of time and pay those weeks to have a spot. I was thinking somewhere around $750-1000 for any reasonable time frame (1-2 weeks), it would take a few years before I would have paid off the electrical/water/wireless infrastructure costs and would reassess then. If that's a ripoff to people, that's not what I am trying to do so I don't want to do it!

As a data point, Sleepy Hollow's sites range from $54 to $64/night, 10-night minimum.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    As a data point, Sleepy Hollow's sites range from $54 to $64/night, 10-night minimum.
    And they have a bar/restaurant.

And the $64 rate has sewer hookup as well. Immediate turnoff to me would be the non-potable water supply you cite. Yeah, you can work around it, but if you're showering and accidentally open your mouth, what varmints might get into your system? So for 10 days, I can stay at Sleepy Hollow in relative no-hassle situation. Plus, they have a golf cart shuttle that takes you to the main gate. Runs 0700-??? late.

With no septic drop, what would campers do? I have to dump my gray water about every 3 days with just two of us present, and that's with an average size holding tank. Would you have something like a honey wagon to provide dump capabilities, or would I have to break camp and drive to a dump site?

Lastly, you say that your site would be an 8 minute drive. That's relative. Not attacking, but, as an example, if your site was right on a main access road/freeway, that could in effect be much further away than a site in the city of Oshkosh.

Figure out how you'll supply water & sewer, and transportation options (you didn't say if a bus stop was near you) so folks could get a better feel for the overall "package" you could make a better determination. One RV on 1.5 acres might be nice, but folks kinda expect close quarters when in Oshkosh. Besides, you might make new friends. I'd be lonely if I was 8 minutes away from anything, and I hate crowds!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    And the $64 rate has sewer hookup as well. Immediate turnoff to me would be the non-potable water supply you cite. Yeah, you can work around it, but if you're showering and accidentally open your mouth, what varmints might get into your system? So for 10 days, I can stay at Sleepy Hollow in relative no-hassle situation. Plus, they have a golf cart shuttle that takes you to the main gate. Runs 0700-??? late.

With no septic drop, what would campers do? I have to dump my gray water about every 3 days with just two of us present, and that's with an average size holding tank. Would you have something like a honey wagon to provide dump capabilities, or would I have to break camp and drive to a dump site?

Lastly, you say that your site would be an 8 minute drive. That's relative. Not attacking, but, as an example, if your site was right on a main access road/freeway, that could in effect be much further away than a site in the city of Oshkosh.

Figure out how you'll supply water & sewer, and transportation options (you didn't say if a bus stop was near you) so folks could get a better feel for the overall "package" you could make a better determination. One RV on 1.5 acres might be nice, but folks kinda expect close quarters when in Oshkosh. Besides, you might make new friends. I'd be lonely if I was 8 minutes away from anything, and I hate crowds!
    Well, the non-potable water was just a precaution as the tap would sit outside, but it's potable water in use by two other houses and tested yearly. So I guess I could sterilize the tap and be good to go. Personally for both the boat and camper, I usually bring drinking water to be safe, so I consider it "non-potable". All of the lines in use would be NSF-certified.

But the other issues you bring up I did not realize would be an issue. I do have grey water capability, but not black - and that would be an added cost to add a holding tank and have it pumped out. I don't dump my black water tanks that frequently so I didn't think that was an inconvenience. No transportation to the show, I figured it would be a camper with a tow vehicle or a RV with a vehicle attached. And no bar or people around you, that's kind of the point of an acre and a half is you're not in the midst of everything which to me is a bonus, but yeah if everyone wants to be that close to people, there's no benefit... there are existing campgrounds that have that. I am assuming they don't fill up?

Appreciate all the feedback folks... sounds like it's a bad idea!