Thread: Smooth Extrusions

Smooth Extrusions

Encountered a weird effect today. I use sketch to draw a circle 4" in diameter, then Extruded Boss/Base to basically generate a "can."

The problem is, the extrusion doesn't give a smooth surface. It's faceted. It generates a solid that's a set of flat surfaces, rather than showing a smooth exterior.

Here's a closeup of the problem:

You can see the blue line of the sketch (a circle) but the Extrusion uses a polygon that approximates the circle. The contour appears to be formed of ~48 line segments instead of a smooth circle.

Is this an adjustment somewhere?

Ron Wanttaja

You can adjust the image quality (in the document's options) to minimize that but if you zoom in close it will always be there. SWx defaults to a higher performance setting which is also lower quality on screen.

Name:  SWx.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  71.0 KB
    Last edited by cwilliamrose; 04-22-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    You can adjust the image quality (in the document's options) to minimize that but if you zoom in close it will always be there. SWx defaults to a higher performance setting which is also lower quality on screen.
    Thanks! I was thinking the "Curvature Generation" selection in the "Systems Option" tab was the thing, but didn't see any effect when I changed it. Yours nailed it.

Ron Wanttaja