Thread: Homebuilt like T-34

Homebuilt like T-34

I need help remembering an article that I believe it was in Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, or Mechanics Illustrated. Time frame around the late 60's to 70's, I think. The article described the construction of a airplane much like the T-34. It was a tube frame, used wings form a GA airframe, and was about the arrangement as the T-34. Does anyone remember this and do you have the article?
    Regards, from I can't remember....Stay safe all.

Quote Originally Posted by norm_parm View Post
    I need help remembering an article that I believe it was in Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, or Mechanics Illustrated. Time frame around the late 60's to 70's, I think. The article described the construction of a airplane much like the T-34. It was a tube frame, used wings form a GA airframe, and was about the arrangement as the T-34. Does anyone remember this and do you have the article?
    Regards, from I can't remember....Stay safe all.
    Spezio Tuholer comes to mind, tube fuselage though I believe it normally had scratch-built wings. The Varga Kachina was quite similar to a small T-34, but it was a production-type airplane that, I believe, was all metal.

The SAM aircraft is what I originally thought of, but was a relatively recent development, not around in the '70s.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 04-20-2020 at 10:37 AM.

I would have said Brokaw Bullet but it’s all aluminum.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    I would have said Brokaw Bullet but it’s all aluminum.
    I'll second that as the most probable, built in '72, was in popular mechanics around 1980, which if you read today makes you feel like you're in the '70's;
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To all, thanks for the help.