Thread: PDM in 2019-20 installation

PDM in 2019-20 installation

So with Solidworks no longer including Solidworks Explorer I've talked to Cory Puuri (who is super helpful) to determine what the replacement is. It turns out they are now including PDM Professional although it is not installed by default. I've used it professionally for years but always had IT support. I'm trying to install it now but need to create and archive server on my PC. The manuals are, shall we say, not that clear. Probably because they're expecting IT people to be their audience. I'm hoping that one or some of you have been down this road and might be able to offer suggestions on creating server. As far as I've gotten is trying to enter the name of my computer which I found but when I tried to enter it in the archive server field it said it couldn't find it. Any help here would be appreciated. I like working in vaults for a variety of reasons but for my home use SWx Explorer has pretty much gotten the job done for so if you know a way to get it that would work as well. That said when I installed PDM the installation manager had a check box for SWx Explorer which I did check but got nothing it may be that the installation manager hasn't caught up with the product offering.

Did you ever get this to work? What I know of PDM to install it you need the license # which usually comes from the reseller. In the 2019-2020 version you can still install SW Explorer (not part of the default deployment options). Since I don't want to deal with a stand along server in my house or pay for a cloud server for now I just use DropBox as the file repository and SW Explorer. This way I can access and edit files from both my personal and work computers.

We use EPDM at work and it can be a pain if you don't know what you are doing...