Thread: Contingency Planning, Part II

Contingency Planning, Part II

Hmm... My first CP post had an interesting mix of responses. Some "got it" that I was bored and threw out a steak to the junkyard dogs to at least wake up some gray matter. Some thought it was stupid, some got on board with it.

OK, so this is a more serious post.

What if we do need to cancel traditional Convention? I can see a mixture of activities that will allow at least some of the "flavor" to come through. National could provide almost 8 hrs/day (or more) of online content for the full week:

1. Forum speakers could still present material just as we now do webinars. With GoToMeeting, and others, one can ask questions, etc, and still learn some stuff. Who cares if it's in someone's garage or living room instead of the forum pavillions?

2. Vendor forums could continue in the same way. Garmin & Bose could fill a full week by themselves judging by the number of presentations they give at Convention.

3. Have owners of unique aircraft provide the virtual walkaround, Warbirds in Review-type presentation online.

4. If you *still* don't have enough content, you could enlist current homebuilders to give a hangar visit of their current projects. Keep it short like 15-30 mins max. Other builders of the same brand could ask questions for how the presenter solved a challenge in their build, etc.

5. An online Airventure Today could be prepared to highlight some of the stories, provide listings for that day's presentations, etc.

6. Open the EAA Online Store so we all *could* get that 2020 T-shirt, patches, etc.

I'm thinkin' this *could* be done....

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I agree that a 100% "Online" AirVenture 2020 sounds like a very feasible project. It would require perhaps substantially increasing the existing AirVenture website presence and functions and maybe adding support hardware to allow mass online participation and views - which means spending some $$$$ - but I for one would have NO problem paying a reasonable subscription fee to cover those added costs to 'virtually' attend the convention for this year.

I'd have to say that would be a better option than a perhaps necessary total cancellation for global health & safety considerations.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

All good----but my main reason for going--seeing my friends and the other volunteers
    At my age, only have so many more shows I can make, Im sad

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    All good----but my main reason for going--seeing my friends and the other volunteers
    At my age, only have so many more shows I can make, Im sad
    Fully concur, Kevin; what I propose might help somewhat, but as Paul always said, you come back for the people. I, too, volunteer every year; it's just something we do...
    Last edited by CarlOrton; 04-07-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

The online store is up and running it’s just a matter of if and when EAA places items for sale. My 2020 AV tee shirt arrived on Saturday. I suspect the other items such as pins and patches will soon follow.

EAA already does webinars. Just don’t know how much bandwidth they can support. I assume there is an upper limit to the number of people that can currently participate. Also assume the presenter can be remote from Oshkosh. Might be something for EAA to consider as an alternative. Obviously they could not do all of them but select a cross section from the various disciplines and interests. Shoot, there is like 400+ forums alone and that doesn’t include the presentations in the various areas like UL, Warbird, Vintage, etc.

Might see about getting those vendors who wanted to participate to do a 5-10 minute product intro/overview. I like the pay for view concept. Perhaps they could work something out with one of the streaming channels??
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Well, it just wouldn't be Oshkosh 2020 Online unless they did a live feed of a masked ChicagoRandy conducting on an empty tram, telling jokes, telling imaginary riders "don't get off until the tram stops" and wondering why the tram didn't stop at Vintage..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Franck View Post
    Well, it just wouldn't be Oshkosh 2020 Online unless they did a live feed of a masked ChicagoRandy conducting on an empty tram, telling jokes, telling imaginary riders "don't get off until the tram stops" and wondering why the tram didn't stop at Vintage..........
    \I 100% guarantee this could be made to happen - lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I had a friend that texted me today from wisconsin
    said they are on lockdown till May 26th
    No way they can get the infrastructure in place by late july if they start in june
    maybe by august but volunteers will have to work their a$$ off.

I would imagine now that the federal guidelines are out and they still insist on discouraging large gatherings even in the “phase 3” step of returning to normal we will see a decision from the EAA before May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk